SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Growing Chestnuts from Grocery Store

scarletdaisies
14 years ago

Chestnuts are $4.00 american dollars per pound! Whoa! So I am going to steal one of about 20 nuts in the small plastic container they came in to plant, maybe two if they won't notice. Hard to not notice one missing with as few as what came, but will they grow?

I know cocoa trees are fermented and baked, but chestnuts are bought raw and then baked? Baking instructions are included, so they must be raw.

Cold stratification in the refrigerator will make sure the mice or groundhogs won't eat it, maybe even bunnies too. There was one crawling in the back yard, a big one, but it didn't touch the mustard, collards, and turnip greens that insist on sprouting even in 25 degree weather at night. It must have been the tree leaves that I dumped over them to kill them off for the year that keeps them warm. But anyways, isn't it better to cold stratify them in the refrigerator and then plant in the ground?

Would love to know! Do I have to worry about male and female trees? I wonder if you can dowse the sex of a seed like you can a pregnant woman, with a ring on the end of a string?

Thanks ahead of time!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH