SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

Imidacloprid on Amaryllis...Yes or No?

mariava7
18 years ago

I've been very busy in the garden the whole day in between roses, tomatoes, amaryllis, tulips, clematis and creeping phlox. That's beside keeping a 4 1/2 year old occupied because she wants to help mommy in the garden. I am planning my insecticide/fungicide spraying schedule with my roses now. I read in the Rose Forum about Bayer's Imidacloprid which is supposed to be systemic insecticide used as a soil drench. If Orthenex works for Amaryllises, could this work as well? I just want to simplify my spraying schedule and would really love to use something that will work on most of my plants. Any info would be highly appreciated...thanks!

Comments (5)

• haweha
    18 years ago

Please be aware that this systemic kind of Chloronicotinylnitroguanidine has no acaricidal properties.
    That means that it is not effective against the bulb scale mite Steneotarsonemus laticeps and thus it is a worthless remedy in Anaryllis, at least for me.

• mariava7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow Hans...those are really "Big" words for me but I got your point. Thank you so much!!!

• cindeea
    18 years ago

mariava7 - regarding your roses-I have learned that the leaves get more infestations if wet or damp. I only water mine in the morning. They are in a raised bed and very loose organic soil so they drain off well. I used to get all kinds of infestations when in different locations. I have them in morning sun-this allows the sun to melt off any dew or water on the leaves thus avoiding mold and other critters to attack. I get no more bugs or mildew now and I use no incecticide/fungicide what so ever. I am a bit disabled and do only 'what I can kinda gardener'-BUT it works for me in SW Florida. I also released 1500 ladybugs in my rose and bulb garden that keep the fungus/aphid infestation off my roses, amaryllis, lillys and other plants.... I hope this helps!
    Cindee

• ornata
    18 years ago

Imidacloprid is highly toxic to bees and other beneficial insects. It is also linked to eggshell thinning in birds, and a reduction in the number of eggs successfully hatching.

• mariava7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OMG, it will definitely be a NO then. Thank you all for the information.
    Cindeea...the ladybug idea would be cool. My daughter would love that too. She calls ladybugs her "bugga-bugga" friends.

Sponsored
More Discussions