SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradmm

Propagating and transplanting black bamboo

bradmm
18 years ago

I did a little search but feel that I still need to ask these questions.

First of all, I was allowed to dig some black bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra) from a local businesss recently. It's June and this is Texas so it's already in the 90's but this was the opportunity presented. I didn't get much in the way of roots on most of the plants because of the rocky soil... just too hard to dig it out. In fact, some came out easier by just yanking them out and I didn't really notice an appreciable difference in the resultant amoung of roots. By the way, the plants looked like they were doing just fine in this soil but they haven't spread much in the five years they've been there as a result. I put one big one in the ground at my house in the vicinity of a creek. It's not getting water from the creek but the soil there is deep and will hold the moisture after watering pretty well. The rest were put into large pots and are on the deck. All locations are shaded most of the day.

I didn't cut them back at all because I wanted leaves to be able to produce CHO's to regrow roots. I don't know how well the limited root systems will support the foliage, however. Should I just keep an eye on them and cut back based on the foliage responds? I didn't know how much CHO's bamboo would store in the cane/culm and was thinking probably not much and there isn't much rhizome left. The one I planted in the backyard is probably 15' tall and there's not much to support all that top but I haven't cut it back any yet. So, are they all likely doomed?

Lastly, I understand that Black Bamboo doesn't propagate very easily from cuttings. Is that true of all, most or just some bamboo? Is it true for this one?

Comments (4)

Sponsored