SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poofygoo

I think I'm killing my catalpa saplings

poofygoo
15 years ago

Last year for Christmas, I received two grow-a-tree kits - catalpa trees. This is my first foray into the world of growing trees. They sprouted and were growing happily indoors in pots, reaching about 12". In late summer, one began to look very sickly, and dropped all of its leaves. I repotted it in a larger pot, since it looked like the roots were being choked. I repotted the other one, too, which was still robust looking. Now the robust one looks pathetic. Since I was out of town, my partner took it to our local garden store, and they said it had a fungus and gave him some spray. The spray seemed to kill the fungus, but the tree still looks droopy and is continuing to lose its leaves.

A few questions:

*It looks like the fungus cleared up from the tree that still has leaves, so why is it still losing leaves?

*Are the trees losing leaves because it's winter? Is this just part of their natural growth cycle? The trees are indoors.

*Is it possible that I didn't replant them in a large enough pot?

*I'm still caring for the leafless tree, since the "trunk" is still green inside. Is it doomed, or do I just need to wait for spring? Something else?

*How can I prevent the other tree from continuing to lose its leaves?

I love these stupid trees like a pet and want them to live. I've included a link to pictures of the tree. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the catalpa

Comments (6)