SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wliu57

How to raise (transplant) osmanthus fragrans planted too deep?

wliu57
15 years ago

I planted this OF about 8 years ago under full sun. Now it is only ~6Â tall and 8Â wide. It has very little leaves with lots of BARE branches (like that all year around, not just now). And it blooms a little a year. I tried various fertilizers, watering schedules, and mulch. None of them worked. The tree grows slow with less leaves. What is the reason for that? That the tree was planted too deeper may be the reason? Now I want to dig it out and replant it at the same spot by raising the tree bed (to exposure the surface roots around main trunck).

{{gwi:493769}}
{{gwi:493770}}
{{gwi:493771}}
I have no tractor, no tree spade. I can only raise the tree with my shovel alone.

I transplanted my two punica nana trees (one 3 and one two tall, both were planted too deep and established.) a month ago and almost killed them. When I digged them up and the soil around it fell apart (I watered them well before I replanted them). I added more soil at the beds and simply replanted them as bare root trees (The roots were kept wet during the transplanting). I gave them lots of water after transplanting and finally they stopped dying back (Fortunately we had some rain here after transplanting as well).

They are much smaller than my osmanthus fragrans.

I know it is NOT a good idea to transplant an established tree. However, I really donÂt like my osmanthus fragrans growing like that. I want to replant it. If it cannot survive the transplanting, I will simply replace another one.

Now here southern CA it is winter. My OF is blooming instead of dormancy. Can I do it now? How can I do it safely? What would be the success ratio? LOLÂIf the ratio is tooooo low, I may just dig it out, say bye-bye to her, and replace another one. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Happy New Year and Happy Gardening to you all!

Comments (4)