SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisware_gw

Basjoos without protection this year

chrisware
10 years ago

Most of my 8 basjoos here in WV (5b) are on their second and third year of growth. But this last fall after Hurricane Sandy was done, I decided to only protect one of my basjoos and basically let the rest fight it out on their own.
ALL of my bananas except for one old corm which had three shoots are burried between 1 1/2 and 2 feet deep. Yep... just got the ol post hole digger and dropped them in.. literally!
Before in the past I have wrapped, covered, etc with great success. This past year was a doozy and I only lost one, and it was part of the three peices which was at the surface... not deep.
The picture is from last summer when things were really growing quickly. I do plan to protect one of the bigger ones again though just so I start out with a taller plant, but many were still alive between six to twelve inches above the ground and are already a couple feet tall now. I'm amazed and would recommend everyone plant deep.
With the next one though, I plan to put in a feeding tube made from perforated pipe though.

The one which I did protect was not done well. I just cut it back some, filled a huge nursery pot with dry leaves, inverted it and put a rock on top.

My only concern with planting them so deep is this... when will I start to get pupping around them so they really look good?
Thanks gang,
Chris

Comments (14)