SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

First week planting out here!

11 years ago

Well, just about the end of the 1st week...

Geez, I don't know if I'm ever ever going to be used to this mountain living lol!

I probably could have planted out quite a few things earlier with the Red Russian Kale and Dutch Grey Pea but it rained and rained it seemed forever and was just too yucky cold. Not to mention that we were still getting frost up until 1st week in June...some right into begging of last week but are living right in town which is down in a valley.....cold air settles :O

The weather is quite nice these days and I took advantage! We went from barely 46F to near 80....NICE.

Of the wintersow seedlings (actually sown in week 1 of April), I finally planted:

Chinese Forget-me-nots

Calendula 'Citrus Cocktail'

Blue Flax

Malva 'Zebrina'

Coreopsis lanceolata

Wanted to do more today and still may IF this rain passes on. If so, I'll plant out more Malva, Rudbeckia, Coreopsis, Swamp Milkweed, Chives and whatever else looks good and ready :)

I was glad to also be able to get my indoor started toms and peppers in the ground....I had to pot them up 2x....grrrrr....that's how early these need to be started around here and I may be cutting it too close....sigh....BUT I do already have a few peppers developing...yippie....

I had to re-sow a few containers this week also: Gaillardia 'Burgundy' and Common Gaillardia, Shasta Daisy and Penstemon pinnifolius compactum. I did get one seedling of the Penstemon, but I want/need more!! Ever since our Bonnie from Colorado posted pics last year I've had to have it :)

The Penstemon 'Husker's Red' is totally up and going, but needs to grow on a little more before transplanting out. I also started some Lupine (Russell), Morning Glory 'Star of Yelta' and a dwarf variety of Marigold.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering what I'm doing about the deer, I went with a product called Deer Out and so far so good. BUT now guess what....I now need to buy Gopher Out if there is such a thing LOL!! No damage yet, but those little critters are getting way close.....sigh....

Tooda-loo friends,

Vera

Comments (5)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner