SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

What's looking good May 2012?

grant_in_arizona
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Can you BELIEVE this amazingly gorgeous weather this week? It's absolutely perfect out there. I love it and hope you and your garden are enjoying it as much as I am. Love it!

The month has started off nicely with some blooms on some Matucana madisoniorum cacti. I got the white flowered one three years ago (along with several of its siblings) in a plant trade. It was the size of a PEA but has made slow, steady progress and is making its very first blooms ever. I love it. It and its siblings are from a red-white cross pollination experiment from a friend so I'm curious to see what they produce as well. The orange-red one is a purchased plant, but also really fun too.

{{gwi:405046}}

{{gwi:405047}}

Here's another fun plant I've been growing for a long time: Jatropha gossypifolia (the species name means "cotton like foliage" and if you've seen cotton (Gossypium) foliage you'll quickly see the resemblance in terms of shape). Easy plants for half a day or full sun, and water twice a week when it's hot (none when they're dormant in winter). They keep their neat foliage color from spring through late autumn. The blooms are small and not super noticeable, but they're pretty when you get up close to them. Each leaf is about the size of a cocktail napkin.

{{gwi:405049}}

I hope you'll take a look and enjoy AND that you'll post lots of pics and updates about what's looking good, or awful (hey, we've all got something, LOL) in your garden.

Take care and happy gardening,

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics (so far) from my garden May 2012

Comments (34)