SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lite1

Appearance over time of dead bamboo for gate

lite1
15 years ago

Planning to create arbor and gate in part to reduce the traffic of deer that sometime parade through my small yard. Since I am likely to be planting Fargesia Robusta as a privacy screen beyond this gate/arbor, I thought it might be nice to have the vertical slats of the gate be stalks of bamboo (perhaps 1" or so in diameter). My question is what will their appearance be as they weather? I'd like to retain at least some of their natural "yellow" coloration rather than have them age to gray. While it would be wonderful to dry the bamboo that I plant myself, the gate needs to be made fairly soon so I will be buying those pieces from a supplier. I understand that some on this forum treat dead bamboo (for poles etc.) with several coats of polyurethane as a protectant. While it would be nice if the slats do not split excessively, I am more concerned with color and expected longevity.

Thanks for the help. I did search here and could not find answer. Odd to have this be my first post here "on dead bamboo," but will be back when I get in to planting the live hedge. The posts that I have read here have been quite helpful, so thanks for a great forum.

Edward

P.S. To be clearer, the entire gate/arbor will not be made of bamboo. At this point only the slats of the gate and probably some of the cross members of the arbor will be bamboo - posts etc. will probably be cedar.

Comment (1)