SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
savannarose_gw

Variety of Bamboo @ Animal Kindom/DisneyWorld?

savannarose
18 years ago

What is the variety of the HUGE bamboo grown at the Animal Kingdom in Disney World? Will it grow in Coastal GA?

Comments (10)

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    18 years ago

I don't KNOW, but if it is growing outdoors I BET it is moso bamboo. Temperature wise- you'll be fine, great actually.
    Coastal-wise, I couldn't say.

• orchidnuts
    18 years ago

It is Bambusa oldhamii. They have a lot of it there. It is hardy to the low 20's. We grow it here also. If you get down here look us up. I'll give you a plant. Rich and Sherry.

• bamboo_oligarchy
    18 years ago

Bambusa Oldhamii grows where I live (one of the warmer parts of South Carolina). I live in an area that is around the borderline of zone 8b to 9a.

You could grow it as well. It might take substantial cold damage in the first year though if it gets into the lower 20s too much. Each year it usually becomes much hardier.

• savannarose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much! My son lives in Orlando but not sure when we'll be going down that way again.
    I'll try to check around here for folks that grow it since I have an idea of the variety now.
    It was really impressive.

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    17 years ago

Does your son have permission to dig at Disney? Hmmmmm. Must know Mickey!

• savannarose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

He's knows someone in the Disney management at Epcot.......don't know if that means he can start digging tho'! Thanks....it's a thought!

• ian5281
    17 years ago

I was there last week and took these photos of the bamboo. There were several different varieties, and I did not recognize one of them! I noticed one really big shoot while waiting in line for the jeep ride thru the animal park....
    No, your eyes arent going sour... the funny looking pictures are 3D anaglyphs, for those of you with a pair of the red/cyan 3D glasses. My apologies to dial-up users.
    Ian
    {{gwi:406455}}
    {{gwi:406457}}
    {{gwi:406459}}
    {{gwi:406461}}
    {{gwi:406463}}
    {{gwi:406464}}

• savannarose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beautiful photos, thanks! I think I've also seen bamboo like this growing in a semi-protected area in a parking structure by the visitors' center in Charleston, SC.

• Scott Wallace
    17 years ago

Yes, lots of gorgeous bamboo at Disney, and not just at the Animal Kingdom! There's some Lako at Animal Kingdom, some Vitatta in the Polynesian lobby, and plenty other varieties all around property.

I should know...it's where I work!

• robanalog
    17 years ago

Fuuny, I went to Disneyland (California) this week and was blown away by the types they had. I am sure there was Oldhamii but in the "bug's life area in the CA adventure side, I saw at least 3 kinds. Some Vittata, Oldhamii and maybe A Karr? Maybe not. On the Disney side at the Indiana Jones/ Tarzan tree area I am almost positive that it was Gigantochloa everywhere. I was in awe but my wife and her friend seemed less impressed with my excitement :P. Wish I had pics but I forgot to charge my camera battery and it died on the first ride...

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County