SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

How I'm SS (Spring Sowing) - My jug ghetto

14 years ago

I don't put out as many as some of you. I've got 12 jugs, 2 porch boxes, 1 tray of delphs in back, and 4 shallow trays on stands on the front porch.

Some may have seen me talk about this, but not the photo. I started them 2-3 weeks ago, extra vent holes, cap off, taped them up, labelled. To my horror, most were covered with icky mold in no time at all.

So I did a frantic search and sprayed with 1:10 H2O2 to water, took care of the mold after a couple apps, but are they ruined?

Now I decide better open them up, it's not a good idea this time of year to use the winter method. So I ripped the tape off, left the tops on because labels are taped to the handles, propped them open w/pieces of bamboo.

Then what to do about chipmunks and squirrels? Found a piece of chicken wire and secured that with more bamboo stakes. Some people wouldn't put up with this, but it gives me satisfaction to start my own plants, and I also purchase just a few plants mail order, don't like tramping around garden centers any more.

Now most have sprouted. The porch boxes the lobelia seeds sprout sooo tiny but well, the painted daisies doing very well, but the others are coming along all but 2. Russian sage is in one, and the pkt said it could take a long time to germinate.

I keep a close eye on them, the hose is nearby, and they haven't needed (very gentle) watering every day. I figure if I can get them in the ground by August or Sep even, some should grow. I don't need that many and may have lots of extra if I don't neglect them.

So maybe that will make up for the fact that I was too apathetic to sow in Feb. Plus I suggest running the jugs through bleach water and rinsing well as a few had milk residue as it sours before I can use it all sometimes.

I feel kind of good about this really. Too bad I can't easily get under there and read the labels.

Oh, and to sprinkle the smaller seeds, I fill a salt shaker w/large holes with about a teaspoon of sugar, hold top and shake. The seeds don't look mixed in well so I make several passes sowing, and shake them in between. I figure sugar is organic, hasn't seemed to hurt any of the many I've done that way yet. The larger seeds, I just pour in the palm of my hand, pinch a few up at a time and scatter, press down or cover as directed.

{{gwi:403473}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored