SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

dried out stem/reverse

trishmick
18 years ago

It's probably been discussed earlier, so I apologize for any re-hashing, but here's my situation. This is my first winter with my basjoo. It was planted last May and reached a height of between 7 and 8 feet before I chopped it down and covered for the winter. I left about a foot of stem then placed four stakes in a square pattern around it. I then wrapped bubblewrap around the stakes and filled it in with bark mulch and leaf mulch. I finally covered that set-up with plastic to avoid moisture build up, and figured I'd see everything again in the Spring. Well, we all know how mild this winter has been. Until the other day that is, when a 'noreaster hit us with severe, gusting winds and about 8/9 inches of snow. Went to check on my windmill (which came through it fine, even though it's greenhouse was blown clear across the yard)and my banana. Troublesome story for the basjoo. Wrapping removed by the wind, and snow covering what I came to discover was about ten inches of new growth. Naturally, that new growth was reduced to mush. Now...do I just leave it alone until Spring, or do I cut it back again to the undamaged height now and cover again with mulch? I was amazed that it was growing through the mulch to begin with, but it HAS been a mild winter. Just curious if two chops in one season is okay.

Comments (3)

Sponsored