SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
usacutie81

Bamboo as privacy border on road?

usacutie81
12 years ago

Hi everyone! We just bought our home and are finally getting into the process of fixing up the yard. One of the huge issues we have is that we are RIGHT on the road, so we have no privacy (there is currently a little white picket fence). A privacy fence is an expense we aren't able to afford right now.

My husband looooves bamboo. He keeps saying we should just plant clumping (not running!) bamboo along the outside of the fence to add privacy. The city regularly mows 4 feet from the road but that leaves another 4-6 feet that we could potentially allow bamboo spreading. We would probably have to trim inside the fence regularly to keep it from taking over the yard, but I'm still leery. Would this work?

I can't figure out how to include images to this post, but here is a link showing you what I'm talking about (you may have to copy/past, apparently I can't post actual links either): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24446235/Bamboo%20fence%20line.png

IF you think this is feasible, what bamboo would you recommend? We need something that is cold hardy to zone 5 (gets below freezing some winters) but also heat resistant to temps over 100, and in direct sun. This area gets NO shade! Well, maybe an hour or two in the morning but that's it!

All I know about bamboo is that it spreads quickly and grows quickly. So if you think this is a terrible idea, please let me know! Hubby is really pushing it but I've heard stories about how quickly it spreads so I'm kinda worried to try it.

Comments (8)