SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

my first time collecting seeds!

louisianagal
15 years ago

I've been a gardener for at least 25 yrs but this is my first time really collecting seeds. Thanks, WS, for this new experience. It takes a little more time to putter in the garden, becoz rather than just snipping of the spent blooms to deadhead, now I am collecting the seeds! I just did columbine and dianthus. It really is an art to knowing when they are ready, some I got to too late. Once I had columbine in a vase, and when removing it, and dropped it, the seeds literally "exploded" everywhere! Wow!

I am going online, too, to identify some seeds, becoz I can't tell if some are seeds or not. Take clematis, for example. I thought the little feathery parts were the seeds, but on further reading, there is a hard brown seed pod once all that falls off. Right? Well I have the parts saved in a baggie, and I will check later if the seed pod is ready. I do understand that hybrids won't come true from seed, so not sure about the clematis or the others, even. That is another hard part I'll have to learn more about. Any advice or insight would be appreciated, this is a new phase of gardening and learning for me.

Laurie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21