SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yourdudeness

Nebraska Bamboo Experiment

YourDudeness
10 years ago

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and bamboo. I would like to get some advice as I have recently begun experimenting with bamboo. Last week we had a bit of a heat wave (50F) so i took the oportunity to get some bamboo, as I have always wanted to grow it.

I picked up some Phyllostachys nigra (picture attached), nuda, and aureosulcata (Black, nude sheath, and yellow grove) as well as Fargesia nitida (Blue Fountain).

All of the Phyllostachys were 1 gallon plants which had been grown in those pots for about 9 months. Upon getting them I have transferred them all to 3 gallon pots and topped the soil with small stone to help keep moisture in. I keep these indoors in a room with a lot of natural light, in addition to two grow lights that are shining on the plants. I also mist the leaves with water once a day. So far the nude sheath has remained looking as it did when i first potted it (alive and relatively healthy). The yellow grove seems to be doing very well as the leaves have greened up more since the re-potting. However, when I came home earlier this week the black bamboo had a bunch of leaves yellow and grey with some falling off. I quickly watered it more to make sure that it had enough, and the following day it seemed that no more color was lost nor were any more leaves lost. Any suggestions on if there is something else that i can do to keep this little bamboo alive?

My plan is to grow all of these in pots for a year or two, then the nude sheath and blue fountain will go into the ground (as both are rated hardy to -20). the nude sheath to a sunny location and the blue fountain to a shady area. The black and yellow grove will eventually go into much bigger pots and be divided as needed (the yellow grove may also go into the ground as I have heard many people have great success with this one in zone 5). I want to keep these in pots for now as they just don't feel established enough yet to survive a Nebraska winter (when the time comes I plan to mulch at least 8 inches).

Has anyone tried this before, or opinions on growing in a container for a while before moving it into the ground?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery