SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

Ooooh, How Nice! It's finally all planted out.

trudi_d
16 years ago

This weekend I finished planting out all the flats. In the process I redid---gutted--three long borders and two big beds. Basically, I yanked everything out of them that I couldn't dig up which gave me what I needed, a blank canvas. I needed to do a redo--it was more for my head than the garden which looked fine, but I needed a change.

I now have borders looking a bit blank as the perennials grow in, many won't bloom this year either, but they're interplanted with many different annual seedlings.

I also went nuts and bought a ton of geraniums this year, I usually limit myself to a few small flats of annuals to fill in here and there, I got some nice Profusion Zinnias in cherry and orange, and I got some torenia for shadier spots. But this year I went bonkers and bought a few trays of motley geraniums. Motley meaning that they were dried out, the flowers gone by, and an 80% off clearance. Who could resist? An afternoon of clipping and snipping, some major doses of plant food and a lot of water, and they are all beginning to bloom.

The border along the back of the house will be the most dramatic, it's a forty foot double row of hibiscus. The front row is big-flowered Hibiscus moschuetos ~ Swamp Malolow and the row behind them is Hibiscus coccinea ~ Texas Red Star Hibiscus. They're all surrounded with various flats of annuals and perennials, all planted out via hunk-o-seedlings.

Jasmine Nicotiana has started to bloom, and my first Colossus Marigold opened today too. The garden was lovely in the spring with so many things to see, but now the summer power plants are turning on and I can just sit back and watch for a while. (maybe three minutes)

T

Comments (7)

Sponsored