SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blinkalink

Deep root fertilization worth it?

blinkalink
14 years ago

We recently had an interesting encounter with a well-known and top-rated Valley tree service. All we wanted was an estimate for pruning 3 trees, but we ended up with a 10 minute spiel about how "concerned" the arborist/salesman was about our trees' health.

We have a 40' jacaranda and 2 mulberries that are over 30 years old. I admit that the jacaranda looks pretty sickly (the leaves are yellow), and we already knew that both mulberries have sooty canker. One mulberry is so infected that I don't think it can be saved. The black split bark is beginning to extend into the top of the main trunk.

The guy tells us that deep root fertilization, combined with microinjections for the mulberries, will fix everything. Supposedly our problems stem from salty, high pH soil. He estimated that the trees add over $30k in equity to our home, so what's a thousand bucks to get them healthy? He claimed we could save the very sick mulberry and possibly get another 20 years out of it if we treat it NOW. Smells like snake oil to me.

My questions are, are these treatments worth the cost? Is there evidence out there to show that they work -- or don't work? Aren't microinjections stressful for a tree, particularly one that is already in such a vulnerable state?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022