SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Hippeastrum striatum blooming in the garden

grant_in_arizona
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your wonderful pics and posts recently, they've been so enjoyable! I really enjoy spending time on this forum, even if I'm just reading along.

In any case, I thought I'd share a pic of the first of many, many blooms coming in on my Hippeastrum striatum plants. I grow these in the ground, or in pots on my patio year round where they get winter sun and summer shade. These are grown from seed from a friend who shared seeds from her family's heirloom plant after we found some ID's for it--they had already passed the plants down through four generations of their family. The foliage is evergreen for me and the plants produce a big flush of blooms in late winter, and then occasional blooms all summer long. I just counted ten emerging bloom scapes this morning and I'm sure more are yet to come. Sure, the blooms are smaller than the big Dutch hybrids, but they're my favorite color, orange, and they appear so generously it more than makes up for their size.

{{gwi:390951}}

The plants make offsets so aggressively the ones in pots often break very thick terracotta pots! Hope you enjoy the quick and casual pics.

Happy Hippeastrums!

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my little garden so far, March 2012

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions