SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mo_girl

What's the verdict on peat pellets/peat pots?

mo_girl
16 years ago

I know some of us gave peat pellets/pots a try. How has everyone who tried these fared?

My experience:

I WS'd some expandable peat pellets, some peat pots filled with dirt, and some containers with dirt only.

I actually had pretty decent results with the expandable peat pellets. I think they're great for small seeds. They stayed moist in cool temperatures, and were great for early germinating seeds. Lavender, foxglove, tomatoes, canterbury bells, and scotch heather did really well. Some of my largest, most healthy seedlings came from that bunch. It was the first container I put out (early Jan.), so I don't know if this had anything to do with early/good results with these. I have noticed they don't work well now that the temps have warmed up so much. They are much too dry now. I will use some of these again next year, but only in early winter. If we end up with a warmer winter next year, these may not work as well for me though.

The peat pots I filled with dirt were overall not great for me. I still had some success, but they seemed to dry out so quickly, and I think some of the seeds may have washed out of them. I will not be doing these again.

Of course, just plain dirt worked really well. I was worried I would kill seedlings if I handled them too much, but I have found out seedlings are much tougher than they look. I have plucked little teeny seedlings straight from the dirt, put them in pots or in the ground and most of them have made it. Next year, the majority of my containers will be plain potting mix. I have really learned a lot my first year WS'ing :)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals