SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

have you ever dreamt of a non-existant tree?

Wow. Just getting up here and thinking about this. Is gardenweb running my life, LOL? Would def. be more appropriate for a "misc" channel/forum, as most forum websites have, but there doesn't seem to be one here that is actually that popular.

Just had the strangest dream. In it, I'd heard about a plant/general merchandise catalog from a somewhat egotistical and globetrotting "bon vivant". It also sold gourmet food, so I had to drive to an upscale wine/cheese shop in northern Virginia to get the catalog. I remember getting off the beltway and getting onto 267; the shop was in Reston right off one of the exits. In a large building where the other level was a tire shop like NTB. It was a large store as those places go.. I walked in and found the catalog. I thumbed to the horticulture section. Past pictures of wine for sale. Then I remembered that I'd read elsewhere the state had revoked his license to sell anything besides bulbs, because of disease problems, but he that he was still selling some plants anyhow. The first plant I saw in the catalog was a spiny leaved pyracantha. It also had thorns! The catalog noted it was very rare, but in the picture, the small plant in 1 qt. square pot had leaves that were covered in purple and orange spots. As though they had some kind of disease even after being propagated. I thought to myself, "I think I"ll pass on ordering from your nursery". But, the catalog then had a long article/sales pitch for rare hybrid magnolias, supposedly discovered in Italy as natural hybrids from a botanical collection. One was something like a M. delavayi X R. ashei hybrid with gigantic leaves and flowers with a light silvery pink tinge. In the price section, it just said "ASK". There were a couple others for sale, same thing "price ASK". It had pictures of the parent plants, all various big leaf mags, I think M. dealbata was in there, too. I figured I could not afford them, so I set the magazine back on the table. The price on the front of the catalog/lifestyle magazine was $10! On the way out of the store, I bought a tiny wedge of cheese! End of dream!

I think there are 3 things on my mind in this dream:
concern about plant pathogens, which are obviously an increasing problem affecting gardens
(ash borer, boxwood blight, rose rosette disease, etc. etc.)
frustration with rare plants having odd sales outlets and/or only being very expensive to obtain, and/or only being avail. in Europe (the Eisenhut catalog has way more magnolias than any US seller, wholesale or retail. It is across the lake from Villa Taranto, where I believe my dream-world was suggesting these magnolia hybrids were discovered.)

also...perhaps some sense that some of the most "high end" parts of the horticultural world are run by a snooty cabal who control availabilty of the rarest plants too. A wine/cheese...upscale merchandise...rare plants catalog for $10 is kind of ridiculous but not inconceivable. (I'm fine with people having hobbies, but personally find the world of upscale oeonology to be ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I've read of a scientific study that proved that when wine reviewers are operating in a double blind environment, their reviews are completely different than when reviewing normally. In others words, it's all about snobbery and they just believe the more expensive brands are better tasting) Do you know the most exclusive plant society in the world, the International Dendrological Society, supposedly only had 5 Americans who are deemed "good enough" to be members? And you thought joining the RHS as an overseas member was difficult! (not really difficult, just expensive) I mean...they might be 5 perfectly good people who are not wine snobs...but how would I know? I just wonder why a plant society has to be so non-representative or exclusive. And what they could have access to that the rest of us can't.

Comments (22)