SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

Groundhogs, I hate them, HELP

littleonefb
16 years ago

Ok, so what is it with groundhogs now. Bad enough that they are enjoying a wonderful healthy feast on my newly sprouted and doing well WS seedlings, but now I have to see them in TV commercials as well? To make it worse, the creature talks as a costumed Abe Lincoln calls him/her a "fur ball".

Now it looks like Toyota has one of the things in one of it's commercials too.

Anyway, back to the groundhog in my yard.

Usually I don't see him/her around and bothering anything until later in the season. This year he's there morning afternoon and evening, until dusk. Crawls through a space under the gate to a chain link fence and has his/her breakfast, lunch and dinner on my seedlings.

To add insult to injury, the critter is getting cut while crawling under the fence and doesn't seem to bother him/her.

He/she has favorites too, at least right now. Bachelor buttons, lupin, and cosmos.

Right now I have wood boards blocking the gate area, but it's a real pain to not be able to go through that gate.

Hubby tried drowning him/her this evening as soon as we saw him/her go in it's hole. Didn't help as the disgusting monster was able to beat out the water and getting drowned by coming out a hole on the other side of the yard. We're sure it's the same one as he/she was soaking wet when he came out the new hole.

We only see one groundhog. In the past we've seen to adult size ones and a few little ones joining them. Last year we had only one and looks like only one this year.

Later in the year, I will have my datura growing well and larger. These seem to keep the groundhog away from my plants. I use about 15 of them and put them in pots and move them around the yard. Problem is right now they are really tiny and not any help yet.

What have any of you tried to get rid of the groundhog or prevent it from eating all your plants?

I read somewhere that blown up balloons attached to things that freely move in the air helps. Anyone tried it? I'm going to in the morning.

Any help will be welcome. Hubby is ready to get a trap and trap the monster. It's illegal to relocate a living wild animal to another location, so he was thinking of trapping it and just letting it die of starvation and dehydration, then getting rid of it.

Now I think that's a perfect way to torture the groundhog.

Anyone got a better solution?

Fran

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert