SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Texans, Oklahomans- Quercus Fusiformis question

poaky1
11 years ago

I was wondering, do you need to plant these trees close together to get a nice canopy? I've seen pictures that look like one tree, and others that they call COPSES or a similar word. I currently have 6 trees in individual places, but I may transplant a couple to get a generous canopy sooner in one spot. Anyone who grows this oak can answer of course, I just think it's more frequently grown in Tex and Okl.

Comments (5)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

At my new house, I have a group of Q. fusiformis like that. It's pretty common in central Texas in the wild but I'm not sure how to create like that. It's just very unique.

• dricha
    11 years ago

It is called a "motte". Those sprouts are off the same root system. That happens on about 25% of Q. fusiformis that you see.

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

These oaks are smaller than the regular Coastal Live Oaks.
    They should be planted closer together to get a closed canopy sooner. They probably have a slower growth rate also.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Scotjute,

After living all over Texas, I see amazing wide variety of Live oak. In Houston, they are huge. In central Texas due to widely varied rainfall amount, they look very scraggly. Not sure how you'd create unique look like that. I imagine it'd take a loooong time for that to happen.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have transplanted a seed grown Q.F. about 25 ft from another Q.F so it will help with the eventual canopy without being too crowded. I agree with the slow growth for now anyway. I get about 1 ft a year but am hoping for more as they get more foilage, and get established. Yeah, Dricha "motte" was the word I was looking for, don't know how I came up with COPSE. The photos of mature Q.F made me want to try them.