SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Growing Moringa Stenopetala in Zone 9b?

Hi! I got zero response in the California forum, so I'm trying here. Fingers crossed somebody is growing this tree.

We started a row of Moringa Oleiferra last September, and found out there is a huge boulder preventing the growth of a few trees. BUT, 2 are 8 feet tall, flowering and bearing pods.

I really couldn't wait to harvest those leaves for the health benefits, but discovered they are a pain to strip from the stems. Not as bad as thyme, but along that line. I still do it, and they taste delicious in salads. So far that's as adventurous as I've become with this tree. This morning I tasted a raw pod about 7" long. Green bean with a little spicy kick. Not bad raw. Probably better sauteed with garlic...

Anyway, I read that Moringa Stenopetala has much bigger leaves that actually have a better flavor. It's slower to grow, more drought friendly, but doesn't like cold. I ordered seeds on Ebay, soaked them for 48 hours, and planted some next to a concrete wall for reflected warmth in winter, and this morning one has sprouted. It's just adorable, and I'm looking forward to the differences.

{{gwi:387438}}

Do any of you have experience with this variety?

Suzi

Comments (10)

Sponsored