SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john90808

My Foray into Asian Greens

john90808
16 years ago

Well I decided to try my hand at growing some Asian greens instead of heat tolerant lettuces over the summer. I usually reserve my 4x4 "lettuce" box for lettuces and a few select other veggies but this summer I am trying Mizuna, Misome, Shirona and Indian Beet Spinach.

Later in the Fall I plan on also planting Chinese Kale (Blue Star), Chinese Mustard Greens (Nan-Fong) and Chinese Celery (Golden Leaf) in another raised bed once the weather cools down a bit here.

Here's some pictures:

1st pic shows Mizuna (7 o'clock), Indian Beet Spinach (9 o'clock), Misome (5 o'clock) and Shirona (2 o'clock) in {{gwi:387002}} and close up of Mizuna {{gwi:387003}} and finally a close up of Misome and Shirona

{{gwi:387004}} (The Shirona is behind the Misome.) I am also growing some basil in the center of the box (12 o'clock).

When I was searching the GW for pictures of Asian greens, I didn't find very many so I hope this post will provide at least a few pics for those interested in growing these types of greens.

I have been eating them raw in salads so far but may try them in a stir-fry at some point..very tasty!

Our temps have been around 80 so far and the greens have all held up very well. I will post on how they do when the July/August heat kicks in.....if they make it that long ;)

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County