SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

Begging for seeds... any cross!

haxuan
15 years ago

I hate it when I always have to beg for seeds! But... I hope you all know my situation being in Vietnam!

So... if any of you that have any amaryllis seeds to spare, could I have some, please?

Thank you so much for your sharing.

Xuan

Comments (24)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Absolutely, Xuan! Just tell me when and where to send them! So far, I have Lemon Star seeds, but I will have others as soon as some of these bulbs bloom so I can pollinate!

I've got seeds left over from last season, too. I have no idea how viable they are, but you're more than welcome to try some. I was going to plant some, myself, and see how long storage really is for Hippeastrum seeds.

It's a little bit too cold for shipping yet, but it will be starting to warm up very soon. Email me... you know you're always welcome to whatever seeds I have at the moment! :-)

• mariae
    15 years ago

Xuan, you don't have to beg , just ask girl!!!
    I gave not a lot of success yet, but as soon as I do you definitely will have some.
    Mariae.

• Related Discussions

Cross Vine - Anyone have any?

Q

Comments (0)
    A rainy day here equals me looking at plants on the web... I found the 'Cross Vine' and fell in love.. The variety I saw was called 'Tangerine Beauty' but even unnamed is fine! Do you have any seed to trade? If so, let me know and let's see what we can work out!
    ...See More

Any seed source for Begonia masoniana Iron Cross?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi. I cant import plants due to my distant location. Btw, is there any nursery which has it? If someone could send me a cutting... Regards, Amer
    ...See More

Begging - Butterfly Bush or Loosestrife Seeds

Q

Comments (11)
    It is always good to check your state's list of Exotic Invasives before planting, especially shrubs. This sometimes becomes a problem with plants we love so much we all plant them. Currently Butterfly bush is on the "low threat" list here in NC. Purple loosestrife is listed as a "significant threat". I just yanked all my Nandina domestica "Firepower". I thought the berries were useful as food for birds. What I didn't know was the birds were planting them everywhere and they were choking out natives that have long been food sources for all wildlife. As gardeners we must act responsibly for the environment and try to educate others. Now I have to get off this box and go outside and hug my trees...Linda
    ...See More

Any pointers for cross-pollinating?

Q

Comments (1)
    I am a pollinator for Mule palm nursery. You can do it either way. Normally the Butia is the host of the Syagrus pollen because it is a more attractive tree and it is easier as you do not have to get large ladders to climb the syagrus. The first step would be to remove "emasculate" the male flowers on the butia. If this is done correctly and there are no other butia flowers in the area the only way it will produce seeds is by introducing pollen to the flower. Syagrus pollen is quite easy to introduce to the butia as it falls right off the inflorescence compared to some other palms. The easiest way is to tie the syagrus inflorescence to the butia inflorescence and give it a shake a few times a day. You will see a big dust could of pollen when this is done. If any new emerging flowers come out of the butia why you are doing this make sure you cut them down or emasculate them so there is no cross pollinating back with the butia. Here is a photo of a butia flower that has been emasculate and ready for pollen. There are timing issues as to when it is best to introduce the pollen. Hope that helps.
    ...See More
  • kitty747
    15 years ago

Xuan -- and everybody --, It appears I'll have quite a few seed this year, and you can have any and all that you want. I just don't have the heart to cut the seed pods and throw them away. I did just today toss some of last year's as they no longer appears to be viable. A couple months ago I planted a whole bunch and only three grew. Ferrari's seed pods are just about ready (Larissa, it has your name on it, too), but will have tons -- too many to list right now -- of this year's seed. Also, last year's bulbs are throwing scapes now. You're welcome to all you want. If you follow my posts, you will see which bulbs I have. Also check out last year's post called "Seeds anyone?" I believe. They should all bloom again this year.

• dizzy77
    15 years ago

Jodi,
    Just wanted to let you know that most of your seeds from last year did germinate. Sadly I lost most of them a few weeks ago from our 4 days scorching heat (over 40 degrees celcius) Even established plants were cooked in the ground, what hope did my poor seedlings have?
    Anyway just thought you'd like to know that they are viable.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wonderful news for me, friends. I will email you each when I know of someone's travelling to Vietnam in the near future so you can send the seeds you have for me.
    Jodi, you're so good to me XOXOXO...!
    Many thanks

from Xuan

• pumas
    15 years ago

Xuan my friend.It would help immensely if we knew more about what could be mailed to you from the USA.Do seeds and bulbs both need phytosanitary documents? Also is it easy for you to get things shipped to you from Thailand?
    They sell alot of bulbs and plants there.Just an idea....Please throw the green ball to Biam and give him a good ear scratch for me Peace,Mark

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    15 years ago

Dear Xuan,

I had posted a few times that I had seeds available, yet I didn't hear from you. List A seeds are ready and I shipped them out to all requestors yesterday. I still have a few seeds left. List B will still be a month or more as they are still ripening. Please e-mail me privately with your address and tell me which ones you would like. I will gladly send you seeds! (is it easy to send seeds to Vietnam??)...I hope so!
    :-)
    Kristi

(seed x pollen)
    LIST A:
    #1 - Red Pearl x Limona
    #2 - Red Pearl x Red Nymph
    #3 - Red Pearl selfed
    #4 - Exotica x Red Pearl
    #5 - Exotica x Pink Diamond
    #6 - Exotica x Minerva
    #7 - Exotica x Red Nymph
    #9 - Grand Cru x Exotica
    #12 - Pink Diamond x Limona
    #14 - Misty x Red Pearl
    #15 - Misty x Pink Diamond
    #16 - Gilmar x Red Pearl

LIST B:
    # Seed x Pollen
    21 Limona x Giraffe
    22 Limona x Showmaster
    23 Limona x Evergreen (DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!)
    24 Minerva x Limona
    25 Minerva x President Johnson
    26 Minerva x Exotica
    27 President Johnson x Grand Cru
    28 President Johnson x Minerva
    29 President Johnson x Limona
    30 Exotica x Gordie (Limited distribution...~2 seeds/req)
    31 Exotica x Limona
    32 Exotica x Queen of Hearts
    33 Exotica x Jungle Bells
    34 Lemon-Lime x Jewel
    35 Lemon-Lime x Giraffe
    36 Lemon-Lime x self
    37 Grand Cru x self
    38 Gilmar x Red Pearl
    39 "Splash" x Jewel (Splash is my San Remo sport (?)
    40 "Splash" x self
    41 Queen of Hearts x self
    42 Santos(?) x Jewel
    43 Santos (?) x self
    44 Baby Star x self
    45 Jade Serpent x self
    46 Carmen x self

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

No big deal, Xuan... that's what friends are for! :-)

Just keep me informed of your relatives' travels, and I'll make sure seeds get to the designated carrier!

Di, if you want more seeds, I'd be happy to send more. As soon as the weather cooperates, I can send some to you... I have several other packages going out to friends, awaiting warm weather.

• juan_grow
    15 years ago

Hi Xuan in this moment i have seeds of fairytale if you want just send me your address or if somebody wants send me your address. Maybe in 2 months i will have more.
    Regards

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Xuan-sweetheart, I am sending you an envelope with a bunch of seeds. You don't ever have to feel like begging my sweet friend...just ask. Do you want pollen too? I may sneak a few seedlings in the pack-shhh! Love ya!

juan-Mi amigo!! Muchas gracias!! I received your seeds today. I already have them floating and will send you some surprises later in the year. Is there anything special you look for?

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello everyone... I'm filled with all the love and care you have for me already.
    Unfortunately, I must first check if anyone I know, or my daughter knows, that is going to Vietnam in the next few months before I can confirm mailing address in the US.
    So, although I'm dying to get 'everything NOW', I just can't, unless you can send directly to me in Vietnam!
    It's very easy for me to receive seeds, seedlings, bulblets... etc... directly in Vietnam and NO PHYTOSANITARY DOCUMENTS are required from the source!!!
    In fact, last November, Aftermidnight (Annette), a member of Cottage forum, sent me some daylily seeds from Canada, and I got them without any problem, [except the envelop was opened "to examine if there were any taxable items"].
    What I worry is the postage you might have to pay to send the seeds overseas.
    So, please my friends, please keep the seeds with you until I can find someone couriers. Then I will inform you all of US mailing address.
    Many many thanks.

Xuan

• hatta
    15 years ago

Hello everybody that has any leftover seeds,

I am too shy (or is it too proud? ... LOL!) to beg for any seeds. Since Xuan has started this thread, I would also like to receive some, if available.

Regards,
    Hatta

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

My seed production is only just starting, but I'd be happy to share when all my pods are matured. I'll let everyone know when that is... and I'll give a short listing of what I have available at the same time.

• ryan820
    15 years ago

I have a question for everyone in general--

How long do seeds last? I have a bag full of seeds-- all sorts of crosses-- from last season. I promised someone on here the bag when I was about to move and the seeds got lost in my stuff during the move. I just found them so if they can still be used, I'll gladly send them.

Ryan

• mariae
    15 years ago

Hi,Ryan I think that one might be me, I think I already send you my address. Tell me what do you need me to do, if someone else is interest is Ok.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    15 years ago

If anyone wants any of my seeds, they need to send their request via e-mail!! AND...don't forget to send a mailing address. I'm known to have ESP, but I'm not THAT good! :-)

Some didn't take, so here's the current inventory (a few on List B are still ripening):
    Kristi

2009 CROSSES -
    Seeds for (seed x pollen)-
    LIST A:
    #1 - Red Pearl x Limona
    #2 - Red Pearl x Red Nymph
    #3 - Red Pearl selfed
    #4 - Exotica x Red Pearl
    #5 - Exotica x Pink Diamond
    #6 - Exotica x Minerva
    #7 - Exotica x Red Nymph
    DIDNÂT TAKE #8 - Grand Cru x Misty
    #9 - Grand Cru x Exotica
    DIDNÂT TAKE #10 - Red Lion x Misty
    DIDNÂT TAKE #11 - Pink Diamond x Nymph
    #12 - Pink Diamond x Limona
    DIDNÂT TAKE #13 - Pink Diamond x Misty
    #14 - Misty x Red Pearl
    #15 - Misty x Pink Diamond
    #16 - Gilmar x Red Pearl
    DIDNÂT TAKE #17 - Gilmar x Evergreen
    DIDNÂT TAKE #18 - Vera that's probably Apple Blossom self
    DIDNÂT TAKE #19 - Vera/AB x Misty
    DIDNÂT TAKE #20 - Vera/AB x Rembrant van Rijn
    LIST B:
    # Seed x Pollen
    21 Limona x Giraffe
    DIDNÂT TAKE 22 Limona x Showmaster
    DIDNÂT TAKE 23 Limona x Evergreen (DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!)
    24 Minerva x Limona
    25 Minerva x President Johnson
    26 Minerva x Exotica
    27 President Johnson x Grand Cru
    28 President Johnson x Minerva
    29 President Johnson x Limona
    30 Exotica x Gordie (Limited distribution...~2 seeds/request)
    DIDNÂT TAKE 31 Exotica x Limona
    DIDNÂT TAKE 32 Exotica x Queen of Hearts
    DIDNÂT TAKE 33 Exotica x Jungle Bells
    DIDNÂT TAKE 34 Lemon-Lime x Jewel Will have second chance as Jewel and Lemon Lime are both about to bloom again!
    DIDNÂT TAKE 35 Lemon-Lime x Giraffe
    DIDNÂT TAKE 36 Lemon-Lime x self
    DIDNÂT TAKE 37 Grand Cru x self
    DIDNÂT TAKE 38 Gilmar x Red Pearl
    39 "Splash" x Jewel (Splash is my San Remo sport (?)
    40 "Splash" x self
    41 Queen of Hearts x self
    42 Santos(?) x Jewel
    DIDNÂT TAKE 43 Santos (?) x self
    DIDNÂT TAKE 44 Baby Star x self
    DIDNÂT TAKE 45 Jade Serpent x self
    DIDNÂT TAKE 46 Carmen x self
    47 President Johnson x Gervase
    48 President Johnson x Charisma
    49 Gervase x Gordie (Limited distribution...~2 seeds/request)
    50 Gervase x Nymph
    51 Mutant thorny Gervase self

1. PLANNED Gervase x Jewel
    2. PLANNED Charisma x Jewel
    3. PLANNED Lemon Star x Jewel
  • ryan820
    15 years ago

Maria-- you got'um! If you don't mind sending your addie one more time, as yours is very deep in the depths of my email =-O Is an envelop sufficient to ship them, or shall I use a padded one? I think I have one handy.

I sure hope they grow for you-- no harm if they don't I guess-- but I will try to remember the crosses-- they were some pretty weird ones!

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kaboehm: I just sent you an email.
    kitty747: I could not find your email on your home page :-(. But I do want some seeds from you too.
    Jodi: You have mail.
    Cindee: You, too, my dear friend. You have mail.

One word to all the seed-givers: May I share some of your seeds to other gardening friends here? They will be extremely happy to get new varieties (other than red noids!)

Thank you very much for everything.

Xuan

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Xuan, please send me your address in Vietnam. Yes, feel free to share the seeds with your friends.

Hatta, please send me your address.

I will have seeds in the coming months.

Best,

Blanca

• hatta
    15 years ago

Thanks for the offer Blanca. I have sent my address.

Xuan should get the first priority because she is the thread starter! I will come second.

Hatta

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Xuan, and anybody else here, my e-mail is Kittykat747a@yahoo.com. Don't forget to put in that little bitty "a" after the 747. I have new seed growing, and the older hippis from last year and those going back to 2000 are coming into bloom, but will be awhile before they bear seed. Most of my seed will be selfed. Just don't seem to have time to keep records for Xing purposes. I tossed all my old seed since so many new ones will be ready before too long. See no point in trying to start older seed.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Xuan, I'm behind in answering my email, but I got your note! As soon as some of these pods mature, I'll put together a package and send it out. The weather is getting a little nicer, so I think shipping can be managed safely.

I will email you and let you know when I ship. And, yes... feel free to share seeds with whomever you like! Gardening is for sharing! :-)

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Xuan, I sent you about 7 or 8 different seed crossings yesterday to the CA address. I hope they arrive safely! please feel free to share any time I send you anything.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Cindee. I think my friend in San Jose will get the seeds soon.

Xuan

Sponsored
More Discussions