SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kalika_gw

Getting used to bitter melon

kalika
16 years ago

Hello everyone, I hope I can post this question in this forum, I know there are a lot of bittermelon lovers here.

I, like many americans, had never even heard of bitter melon growing up. My fiance's mother is from taiwan and grows it every summer. A few nights ago I finally tried some after my curiosity got the best of me, and all I can say is wow! I will definitely be growing this in the future. She made me a simple stir fry dish and I find the taste so unique, I can't stop playing around with different recipes and ways of cooking. She's been supplying me with tons of the stuff because none of the rest of her family can stand it, lol. It's odd in the fact that I don't know if I actually like it or not, but I can't stop eating it because of the uniqueness. It reminds me of when I first started eating ginger, at first I didn't really like it, but found the taste so intriguing that I couldn't stop eating it. Now, I absolutely love it, even chew on it raw sometimes.

What are the ways you all have grown into loving the vegetable? So far I prefer it sauteed with ginger and chopped garlic cloves, but I don't really love it yet like I want to. I know I need to develop my bitter taste, but I'm not quite sure how. I just find it so neat that I have this whole new flavor I get to play with, I want to learn how to enjoy it as much as possible.

Comments (8)

Sponsored