SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy123

New Species of Liriodendron (Tulip Tree)?

treeguy123
12 years ago

I found a wild Liriodendron here which should be Liriodendron tulipifera, but I could not believe how unusually the leaves are on this seedling when I first discovered it. The most striking feature to me is how it has a center tip. I have never seen any illustration or picture showing a Liriodendron having a prominent tip at the center. The other striking thing is the narrow shape which it also has very large deep leaf sinuses.

I've grow up around Liriodendron tulipifera trees, so I'm very familiar with all there detailed features. The density of Liriodendron tulipifera in the woods here is very high, and I've seen thousands and thousands of tulip trees walking through woods. This is the first time ever in my life to discover a tulip tree so strikingly different from normal Liriodendron tulipifera relatively speaking.

Here are pitures:

{{gwi:459817}}

{{gwi:459818}}

It makes me wonder the possibly of this being an ancient hybrid with a extinct species that all of the sudden showed its hybrid leaf structure that had been hidden as recessive genes over the millenniums. :-)

Here are just some extinct species of Liriodendron found in fossils:

{{gwi:459819}}

What does everybody think about this discovered tree?

At least I could see me possibly naming this as a new cultivar of Liriodendron tulipifera.

Comments (18)