SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

how do tree farms grow named oaks from seed

its not like they can hand pollinate them ....

so i presume they ID a stand of desirable trees ... and gather up the nuts.. and grow them out ...

but who says.. 10.. 20 years down the line.. that they will actually be say .. coccinea ????

are there ways to control the pollen spreading .. to INSURE a proper cross????? how do you do that with a 100 foot tree ... though i suppose you could do it on smaller, nut bearing trees ... and tent it somehow ....

how do they know the actual tree from which the nuts were taken.. is actually a PURE tree .... or is it more of a PLANT THE NUTS .... and then ID and sort.. by the traits exposed ???

if you are going to go down the road of explaining 'species reproduction' .. go lightweight on me.. so there is some hope of me retaining some of it ... before my eyes glaze over ....

in the other post.. i had bought a coccinea.. and now.. 9 years later.. i am being told its a Quercus ellipsoidalis .. which wasnt even available from the seller ...

so many questions.. so little time ...

TIA.

ken

the link states the following:

it has traditionally been thought to be closely related to the Scarlet Oak Q. coccinea, and was in fact included in that species by many botanists. However, recent work suggests that Hill's oak is more closely related to Black Oak Q. velutina and that there may be ongoing gene flow between those species (Hipp and Weber 2008). The morphological similarity between Q. ellipsoidalis and Q. coccinea remains a source of confusion, especially in northwestern Indiana and southern Cook County, Illinois.

Here is a link that might be useful: yeah i know its not the highest caliber research paper.. lol

Comments (11)