SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Korean and Thai varieties to plant

Pyewacket
15 years ago

I'm in the process of learning to cook Vietnamese, Thai and Korean food, but I'm not familiar with what types of vegetables and greens I need and wont be until it'll be too late to start anything that needs to be started indoors. I've got some cookbooks on the way, including:

Flavors of Korea: Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine

Growing Up in a Korean Kitchen

A Korean Mother's Cooking Notes

Buddha's Table: Thai Feasting Vegetarian Style

Thai Food (by David Thompson)

Quick & Easy Vietnamese: Home Cooking for Everyone

Into the Vietnamese Kitchen

Vietnamese Fusion: Vegetarian Cuisine

The Best of Vietnamese & Thai Cooking

I'm not vegetarian per se but I don't much care for meat, so I have a natural penchant to lean towards using more vegetables and more vegetarian style cooking.

I've been cooking Indian food for over 30 years so I've got that under control, LOL! I love Thai and have a limited Thai repertoire to date. I love Korean food, especially the banchan that come with the meal (they're SUPPOSED to be side dishes but they make a meal in themselves as far as I'm concerned), but I don't cook it at all. Vietnamese is the cuisine with which I am least familiar.

I looked at the Asian vegetables on Fedco and Evergreen Seeds and they are pretty confusing, the latter in particular has 4 different "Korean cucumbers" and I have no idea how to choose. There are also a bunch of Thai eggplant varieties, most of which seem to be small round green types, again I have no basis for choosing. There is only one variety of "Korean eggplant" so at least that one's easy though it looks like I could use any long oriental variety (of which I have several on the way). I've got Ravenna, long green eggplant coming, I'm kind of assuming that'll do for the "long green" eggplant style under Thai varieties even though its from India.

And then there are herbs, greens, radishes, and cabbage varieties, and these I have not the slightest idea of what I may need. Buying fresh oriental vegetables isn't an option here, the only store in town that carried anything like that went out of business. I could be hard pressed to come up with lemon grass from now on, had I realized they were closing I swear to high heaven I'd have stopped in there and bought up their remaining stock, LOL!

I've ordered some lemongrass seed but don't know how trying to grow that will work out since it'll have to be container grown and moved indoors in winter.

Any suggestions?

Comments (24)

Sponsored