SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

Happy Lunar New Year!

haxuan
16 years ago

This is my pot of NOID blooming to celebrate Lunar New Year in Vietnam. Enjoy.

{{gwi:382303}}

Xuan

Comments (21)

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

It's beautiful, Xuan! It almost looks like Rapido or Pamela... I'm not sure of variety, but it sure is red, and I notice that some of the petals look kind of ruffled at the edges... Rapido and Pamela have no edge ruffles... named or noid, it's a gorgeous flower!

Happy Lunar New Year to you!

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Xuan,
    Happy New Year to you,your family, and all our friends here on Gardenweb! From Chaz and Chase - the ChaChaboyz! LOL
    {{gwi:382306}}

• Related Discussions

Lunar New Year 2013

Q

Comments (11)
    I would love to see this show. It is quite something and coming from an amateur Adenium grower such as my self. I am always learning. An observation by a learned man stated that many of these large Adeniums would have to be grafted (many branches)as the double and triple flowers have not been established in such time to have a caudex of these sizes. Also, Yellow even for as long as the multi petaled. Not taking anything away from there beauty and fortitude to accomplish these amazing plants. Just an observation and good to understand. Rick
    ...See More

Red lion for Lunar New Year

Q

Comments (5)
    Xuan, You have to use the 400px size which is the smallest medium for your pictures to come through correctly. I guess this is a Picasa thing..unfortunately all other pictures from older post have deformed pictures if when using Picasa you chose the largest size, which I did. I did an experiment on another thread the one labeled "will you take a look at this" and through trial and error settled on the 400 px size. And, as you say, if you click on the image you can see the picture in it's proper size. I look forward to seeing some of the seedlings from the seeds I sent you..I was wondering if any of them made it, that's great that they did!!...Donna
    ...See More

Happy Lunar New Year And Citrus Trees

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, it is a custom to have citrus on the Lunar New Year. Most Asian super markets in Houston have them too. It is the year of the dragon, and I am a dragon. I would have liked to have in Hong Kong today.
    ...See More

Happy Solstice, Merry Christmas, Happy Yule, and Happy New Year

Q

Comments (1)
    Happy New Year to all my gardening friends. PEACE on earth, including Gardenweb. May the New Year bring love, happiness, forgiveness, joy, Wisdom, and Beauty beyond what you hope for in your gardens. Here's to New Beginnings. Cheryl
    ...See More
  • cindeea
    16 years ago

**********Happy New Year Xuan*************
    {{gwi:382308}}

Chaz-There's no doubt who Chase belongs to!! You guys look like Snow-Twins!

Jodi, dear, I tried emailing you yesterday...it came back with an error. E-me, please.

• chazparas
    16 years ago

LOL, Cindeea, I outweigh him by almost 60 pounds! The photo doesn't show the true difference! Lots of people tell us we look alike, always did. Of course we don't see it but others do. About 10 minutes after we took that photo it started snowing so hard we had to stop shoveling and eventually took out the snow blower.
    I only get flowers on my NOID plummie every other year of so, it's another plant I got as a cutting from the NYC flower show in 92, a beautiful white with heavey frangipani fragrance. I did buy two cuttings 2 years ago, one a singapore dwarf one, the other Leis rainbow, can't wait for them to bloom. Our summer is just not long enough to build up energy, takes 2 summers to get enough to bloom. Can't wait to talk Chase into my greenhouse! LOL, you know the one with the pool, spa, 30foot ceilings, and you talked me into an outdoor shower now! LOL

Blah, blah, blah, gotta get back to studying. Been putting it off long enough. Happy Lunar New Year

Jodi, got a epiphyllum white night blooming cerus rooting for you. Had to cut off a piece that got snapped, it has your name on it, will wait till it's safe to ship though.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Hey Chaz, I must cut you a piece of my Aztek Gold Plumeria. It smells like Peaches and is very hardy. I have a former boss who had the BEST outdoor shower. I'd house sit whenever they would be away and took care of their ancient Cat who was too old to be boarded. She was "Farrah" she had a mane like the Old Angel and was so loveable. Off their bath they had a glass door to this paver pad surrounded by trellises covered in allamanda and bouganvillea. The trellises over lapped so you could get to it from outside as well. It was totally private and totally heavenly to shower under the stars or blazing sun. I have always wanted to create that here....talking Dennis into it is another story!!

ps. I don't think YOU would want to use one this time of year!! Happy Snow Storm!

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

CHAZ AND CHASE, too too funny and happy a picture! Looking at your faces was the best thing yet that has happened on ths rather cummy post-op day. Hope the snow gives you lots of quiet time by the fire also! Now go do your studing Chaz so you can help people like me feel better physically too!

Xuan,enjoyed your greeting , and Cindee, an outside shower! Yes, I have been wanting one for years...come in from the garden, strip and shower on our private patio, then be all clean! Hubby just doesn't want to pay to have the hot water hooked up outside, even though I told him how much help it would be to bathe the dogs, LOL. You can buy some nice outdoor shower hardware.

OH my gosh, I Just saw the first hummingbird! And it had a ruby head too, that caught my eye! I know some of them stay around here during the winter but not around my house before because I do not feed them. It was probably attracted by the big orange rose hips on the bush outside my window. All we need now are a few warm days and flowering shrubs will be popping all around.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Greetings Chase... and thanks for the photo Chaz. Can't imagine you have that much snow to shovel! Wow, how cold it would be for me!
    Thanks for the ID, Jodi. I'll check to see if Rapido or Pamela these blooms take after.
    Actually Lunar New Year was Thursday but we didn't have a chance to post on GW. So, here I'm wishing everybody a Happy Lunar New Year!

Xuan

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Cindee - just flipped an email your way... I hope you get it! The photo of Plumeria is gorgeous! Is that the Aztec Gold? I can't wait until mine flowers, although I'm thinking it may take a while unless I keep it under grow lights! I do want it to get the benefit of a summer out in the garden.

Chaz - that's a fabulous photo! You guys do look alike! There's a definite resemblance... could be due to the same facial hair! :-) Don't you just love shoveling snow?! I'm usually the one who shovels the long sidewalk from the house to the garage and kennel, and by the time I'm done, I'm pooped! I always wait until the snow stops to start shoveling, and it seems like the snow starts again just when I finish! I can't wait until the weather is warm enough to send plant material through the mail! I thank you for rooting a piece of your epiphyllum for me, and can't wait to receive it! We'll have to talk about a trade, because I'd love to send you something in return... I do have lots of seeds! We'll talk when the weather warms a bit!

Lizalily - I'm glad to see you posting... it must mean you're feeling pretty decent already! That's excellent! I've seen some really nice outdoor showers in magazine photos, but I'd never convince Larry that we need one! We'll probably never have a pool, and it's doubtful we'll get an outdoor hot tub... so, there goes an outdoor shower! There'll be no need for one! The ones I've seen are usually entered and exited either through an existing bathroom, or next to a pool... and they usually are surrounded by flowering vines of some kind... I don't know how comfortable I'd feel undressing outdoors to use one, though! LOL!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Xuan. Is this amaryllis small flowering? Both Pamela or Rapido are small flowering varieties. Looking at your picture, I have the feeling that they are large flowers.

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

JODI,
    I am feeling much better today...I can focus and stay calm and have patience with my loved ones...whew! (They need a lot of that, LOL) But my reward is that Howard is hanging a suet feeder right outside my window by the seed feeder, so more birds to entertain me! We get a lot of the big blue jays coming for the suet and they are so much fun to watch

We have a large manufactured home, and have built a concrete patio on the backside of our master bathroom. IT is accessed through a laundry room, and sheilded from any veiw of the street by the corner of the house and the shrubs I planted to shade the house.

Well, here comes my pt for the day...

• mariava7
    16 years ago

A Chinese friend of mine said that this Chinese New Year is celebrated for 2 or 3 weeks. Is that right Xuan?

Happy Chinese New Year to all!!! (from me and Ana)
    {{gwi:382310}}

And may the Year of the Rat bring us all healthy, beautiful and blooming amaryllises!!!
    {{gwi:382312}}

• liltika
    16 years ago

I think I'll be the first this new year to admit to bulb envy! Lovely spot you have there, Mariava. And such a sweet picture of Ana :)

Happy new year everyone! May your bulbs grow big and blooms be plentiful this year.

Happy growing,

Liltika

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Wonderful picture of Ana, and the collection! Your family is very photogenic, Maria... and you're very good with a camera! As always, your bulbs look so healthy and happy!

Lizalily - I'm so happy you're healing quickly, and keeping up that wonderful spirit of yours! Prayers are heard and answered...

• haxuan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes and No, Maria. Tet (= Lunar New Year celebration) in Vietnam officially lasts for 4 days, all offices close. This year, Tet fell on February 6-11 because of the weekend. In reality, many business will not open again until 2 weeks after.
    Your Ana looks so cute and I like your bulb collection! All the perfect!

Xuan

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Maria, Ana is adorable!!!
    I wish I could put that many bulbs around!!!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Maria, Ana is getting so big! She is such a beautiful girl. Your Amaryllis are so organized! How do you do it with that many? Mine are just scattered in little groups here and there on the patio and the potting bench.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Thank you all! Yes, Ana is growing so tall. It's definitely the American blood. My wonderful "hybrid"! Lol!

Organized? I have to be be for very limited winter space and no funds for artificial lighting. And...to avoid my hubby divorcing me. LOL!!!

I only have 2 bright windows to grow the ammies during winter time. That one in the pic is the semi-basement window. The window upstairs is for the other seedlings. The leafed out ammies and seedpod producing ones goes to the bedroom's patio door where there is the most sunlight. I've got my own "jungle" building up there too!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

There are quite a few of us that have hippi jungles! It sure doesn't take long to build up a jungle's worth of pots and plants! I've always loved Maria's bulb collection and how she groups them and photographs them! It's a sight to behold!

• lostmermaid
    16 years ago

Just what the weather man ordered!!
    Southern Ontario has had incredible snow fall in the last week. I swear I get the driveway clear (naturally the snow plow comes along right after!) and the next snow fall comes. The kids are getting many days off school this month too. TOO MANY!!

Happy Lunar New Year.

{{gwi:382313}}

from the kitchen window
    {{gwi:382314}}

I am incredibly jealous to have summer all year long!!! Especially after having spent 5 years in the DR. I was into Bromalaids then. Too bad I couldn't bring them home with me. Although I did manage to sneak some flowering orchid cactus back for my mother.
    Dana

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

Oh my, I have not seen frost patterns like that for years! Let me blow you a breath of Spring air from Puget Sound in Washington State near Seattle...WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-> THere, do you feel it?

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Dana that frost pattern is marvelous! And who's footprints are those under your arbor? LOL

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions