SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

unobtainium - list your top 5

Putting this in trees since it is the most trafficked, but you can list any type of plant. Ok if you have less than 5 but limit it there. Has to be something you've at least seen a picture of, not a complete abstract. For example, Acacia delavayi from China might be a fairly hardy Acacia, but I don't even know what it looks like yet.

Cannot be available from any nursery source in your country - though I'll make an exception for wholesale only if you've been looking a long time haha.

I am limiting myself to things I think would survive for me, but you don't have to. It's annoying no one sells Cyathea dregei in the US, for example, but realistically it's just too cold here. In Virginia Beach though? Who knows.

1) Dalbergia hupehana - having finally seen one in leaf, I'm absolutely disgusted this never took off in the US nursery trade. It has a beautiful habit, beautiful shaggy peeling bark like a eucalyptus, and leaves that, though deciduous, are exotic looking enough to unambiguously signal you're dealing with a fully zn 7 hardy branch of a mostly subtropical family. They have a funny matte sea-green appearance, oddly or not reminscent of Lathyrus. Yes folks this is a hardy rosewood, and it looked fine in the suburbs of DC after this winter. I might post a picture later but it was in a private garden where the owners were not around, and I really don't like the notion of violating someone's privacy, even a little. (The person showing me was their friend)

2) Torreya jackii - more Podocarpus maki-like than Podocarpus maki. Amazing.

3) Ehretia dicksonii - AL Jacobson says the flower fragrance is very impressive, and he doesn't seem prone to exaggeration.

4) Cobaea pringlei - common in the UK for many years since being featured in The Plantsman in the mid 1990s. Was it Roy Lancaster who "discovered" it? There are several forbs or vines in this category but this one I most suspect of being able to survive here with a sheltered spot and some mulch.

5) Rhododendron 'Firelight'. Representing a whole cohort of rhododendrons bred in the US - on the east coast as a matter of fact - which are now only commercially available in the UK or EU.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 14:43

Comments (58)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BTW, as for Lithocarpus henryi...I will say that the superior Howard County tree is being experimentally rooted. I will update people with results when they are known next summer. There may only be enough to distribute to nurseries at first but at least a protocol for cutting propagation will be established. Having now seen several more DC area Lithocarpus last weekend, I can attest to its superior leaf size. Look on the bright side, at least someone out there is trying to select a superior form of it. (i.e., me)

In any case Cistus periodically offers it so I believe when summers in Portland are warm enough they have a local seed source. Just be patient, it will reappear. Or maybe he has a contact in the south or whatnot. And of course unless Woodlanders is saying they lost their seed source, they will have it again. It crops irregularly (believe me, I know having a checked a grove of them for acorns for serveral years) so that might be why they have delays in offering it.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

my understanding is that cistus does NOT have their own local seed source/cutting material for the lithocarpus and that (recently at least) they were using seeds/seedling material from an east coast source. there is apparently variation in leaf size between individuals---my brothers tree in salem, oregon from woodlanders many moons ago can have leaves up to a foot long---as does my tree from the same source near the southern oregon coast. some of the "newer" stuff (at least as young plants) seem to have much smaller leaves---but this may be only a juvenile phase (hopefully).

• Related Discussions

What are the top 5 orchids on your wishlist?

Q

Comments (20)
    Thanks for the input, Calvin. I know who has the Centroglossa, but I doubt it is divisable at this point anyhow even if he was willing. Growing Angraecoids got me interested in growing these other little monopodial species, mostly from Asia. Mount 'em and treat them like the Angs. I got an Aerangis unbonata and an Angraecum teretifolium from the Malala order this year (by Botanica). Both came through just fine; the unbonata is just kind of sitting right now but healthy and with some live roots, and the Ang teretifolium (some dispute if it is a linearifolium) never missed a beat and continues to push roots into the treefern mount -- not even a single leaf tip browned during its long voyage from Madagascar. With the currency exchange rate (the US$ vs. Euro) much better this year than last) the plants ended up about $35 each total with S&H, etc. Still a lot of money though. I think I only lost two; an Ang and a leafless. The Aeranthes henrici was an easy grower all the years I had it. All it took was water settling in the leaf axils one cool winter night -- and it was history. I originally got the plant from, of all places, Oak Hill. There are a lot of really nice Angraecoids out there for sale by online dealers - I try to keep track of them - but what I find is this dealer has one I want, another has one I want, another has two I want -- I just don't want to place such a small order and pay an entire shipping bill. I'm cheap; I'm mostly Scot and it shows.
    ...See More

top 5 wish list for 2007

Q

Comments (22)
    House of Hosta is located just outside of Green Bay. He doesn't have a website, but I think he does mail order. They have a great selection of hostas at very, very resonable prices. Here is a link that might be useful: Here is some information
    ...See More

Your worm's top 5 favorite foods.

Q

Comments (24)
    hummersteve: I can imagine the worms won't take to baked potatoes leavings right away. I don't bake my potatoes but may I suggest you "age" your baked potato leavings in a container with some liquid. Once it's mushy, I'm sure the worms will be all over it. I micro-waved potato peels (I know, waste of energy) for a few minutes and then let them sit for about a week or so before adding to the worm bin.
    ...See More

Post your top 5 on your wishlist!

Q

Comments (49)
    No I haven't seen them more mature than shown on the OOA site. It's amazing! Those two others are also quite nice. Though fusiformis is not too exciting to me. globocaulis is nice and I would love one some day, but it's not quite what I look for. Hard to define what it is I'm looking for, but I know it when I see it :D
    ...See More
  • davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks George. The Lithocarpus I was comparing it with were mature ones. It's not a huge difference, but maybe 8-9 inches versus 11-12 inches. They also might be a bit glossier.

Do the ones in Oregon you know of set seed? It seems the growing season in the mid-Atlantic has to be just right, and they ripen just before the first freezes. They probably can't cross with your native tanoaks because it turns out they are actually not closely related, so several of the Asian ones would be needed. (and I suppose L. edulis might actually be more common there in collections)

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

my brother's tree has occasionally produced fruit but perhaps the lack of another tree for cross pollination and/or the relatively cool and dry summers end of with a very small number of viable looking "fat" acorns (none of which have germinated)---though lots of "babies" that never develop any size at all. OTOH, my brother's quercus rhysophylla tree used to produce a fair number of viable seeds (possibly hybrids with nearby cultivated red oaks). sadly, that tree is long gone---got too big and my brother was afraid it might fall over on his house.. David, don't know if you're interested , but i may have some extra seeds of the extremely rare indian horsechestnut (aesculus indica) from my tree to share---if you'd like to try some......

This post was edited by georgeinbandonoregon on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 12:48

• poaky1
    9 years ago

David and George, I've shortened your names but you know who you are. I would rather try a more eastern source, and the hardier the better. I'm hoping I can find a source, hairmetal told me that the tree may be able to grow here, and may be the closest to an evergreen oak I may be able to grow here in zone 6. But really I have so many trees, and have every other tree I ever wanted, so I will get over it, if I can't have it but, I will of course check next season to see what if anything has changed in the availability.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

How hardy is Lithocarpus edulis?

• Socal2warm
    9 years ago

I am interested in the wild varieties of Japanese Cherry blossom trees.

Oshima Cherry (Prunus speciosa)
    "Clove Cherry" Choujizakura ä¸Âå­Âæ¡ (Prunus apetala)

Unlike many of the overly hybridized cherry blossom cultivars, the wild species can pollinate each other (genetic diversity as opposed to clonal propagation), be grown from seed, and are very vigorous. The blossoms may not be as spectacular, but it is much more natural.

There is absolutely no one that sells the plants or seed outside Japan, and even searching the internet in Japanese, and sending an inquiry, I still did not find anything. The wild varieties can be found growing in the Japanese forest, but apparently are not used as ornamental plants. Almost all the cherry blossoms being sold in Japan are only of 3-5 varieties.

• scotjute Z8
    9 years ago

Pseudotsuga marcrocarpa - Big Cone Douglas Fir. Saw these in southern California on hot side of coastal mountains at 2-3 thousand feet. Beautiful conifer for those in hotter drier climates.
    If you find them for sale please send me a message. Thanks.

• frank1965
    9 years ago

Mail Order Natives has Stewartia malacondendron- small pint size but healthy, now if I could find S. ovata, natives but almost impossible to find.

This post was edited by frank1965 on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 16:52

• strobiculate
    9 years ago

Zelkova serrata 'Spring Grove' 2-4"
    Syringa pekinensis 'Sundak' Copper Curls Lilac 2-4", 10'CL
    Calycanthus floridus 'Michael Lindsay' any

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dalbergia hupehana is now available from Sheffields. Rather expensive, but, less expensive than flying to China to look for it. I just hope it's the right thing.

The experimental rooting of the Howard Co. Lithocarpus failed, albeit for non-horticultural reasons. I'm going to gingerly ask the wholesaler to try again, so, just hold your breath until spring 2017 instead of spring 2016. (Advanced Horticulture: Not for the Impatient. Ought to be the motto of our hobby.)

• viper114
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

1.)'Darling 311' American Chestnut.........more blight resistant than Chinese Chestnut......is awaiting review by federal agencies before being released to the public due to it being a GMO.

2.)Berberis canadensis

3.)Betula uber

4.)Hierochloe odorata

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    8 years ago

Hierochloe odorata is available from quite a few mail-order sources.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OMG! This thread might have answered a long standing mystery for me.

There's a small area of my lawn that has always emitted an oddly sweet odor when cut. I'd assumed it must be a broad-leaved weed but could never find any. I now wonder if there's a patch of this Hierochloe and that is what I'm smelling. When I have time, which might not be for a while, I'm going to go look more carefully.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    8 years ago

David, I wonder if a superior form of L. henryi can't just be grafted onto seedling rootstock.

L. henryi is really easy to grow from seed. No stratification or scarification needed. One of my 2 L. Henrys:

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ordinarily oaks are grafted, yes, but I've heard/read from more than one reliable source that Lithocarpus root, relatively easily.

It would be nice to graft them too but most seed seems to go seedlings, since the market generally just wants the plant, period, and they command relatively high value. (though you generously offered to give one to hairmetal IIRC) The issue with the Howard County trees is getting viable seed has been such a hassle: they seem to bear on alternate years, the deer and squirrels and possibly some large bird go after them, some are even empty which I think is due to an insect, etc. etc.

I will go back there in October to try to collect either scions or seeds.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So I get to replace one my list, now that I have hardy rosewood seeds on the way.

I'm adding Bretschneidera! Though zn 7 is a best case scenario, I suppose it could be if the range once went further north and west into China than the current areas, which are very mild.

8 years ago

...Howard County trees...

Does anyone have any photos of the so-called Howard County Lithocarpus??

I think 'acorns' need to be picked off the tree and probably around early October for best viability. Although I've been able to start some that I found on the ground -- but they are probably more prone to insect and mouse damage.

dave

• Huggorm
    8 years ago

I would like a DED resistant elm but they seem to be almost impossible to come by in scandinavia. Also I want a "Loiko" walnut, a soviet cultivar that is extremely winter hardy.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They aren't much to look at (in a photograph) because they are in a crowded, mixed woodlot of various rare species planted by a collector years ago. Planted on a grid in fact. The current owners (lightly) maintain and allow access to the collection although I don't think they want to location posted on the internet. When I'm there I usually bring some loppers and try to cut out any vines trying to strangle rare stuff. Other things on this crowded 1/2 acre include Albizia coreana and various Conifers like Juniperus rigida and IIRC Pinus wallichiana and Taxodium ascendens. A few years ago a couple of the smaller plants were dug and donated to one of the area's public gardens. It isn't a "dead" collection exactly, it's just a very dormant one.

I did once take a picture, which I have somewhere, of how big the leaf on the "select" clone is, but probably wouldn't be able to find it easily.

• Embothrium
    8 years ago

I got a Wollemia in a 3 inch pot for about 25 bucks from a local garden center this year. They also had Vietnam cypress, it was even cheaper. Both had been produced by Iseli nursery in Oregon. A few of the other things talked about here I have seen on the local market before also. The Lithocarpus henryi I am growing came from the MsK nursery at the Kruckeberg Botanic Garden, but others have sold it too. Colvos Creek nursery closed in recent years but the aforementioned Cistus as well as forestfarm are still at it, these are the kind of places that get and sell hobbyist trees out of botanic gardens, private gardens and wholesale nurseries run by people with the same plant geek orientations. Part of the game is to maintain changing inventories with rotating casts of characters, so that any given kind of tree may be on the market from more than one source for a time and then disappear, to be not seen again until there is a good seed crop or something else happens to bring it back into the picture.

• treeguy123
    8 years ago

davidrt28, if it's the same sweet smell I know of, it must be Hierochloe becuase it contains coumarin. We have Melilotus albus here and the flowers contain coumarin, so on dry days the sweet smell can be sensed from long distances. Probably my favorite flower smell.

One tree I've been wanting for a long time is Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Imbricata Pendula' grafted to disease resistant rootstock.

Pinus lumholtzii and Quercus taramahura are two trees I've searched for over the past couple of years, but I bet Quercus taramahura is not cold hardy at all. I would love to see a Quercus taramahura X Quercus marilandica, that would be a super cool oak.

I also think Quercus guyavaefolia is a very nice looking yellow leaf back evergreen oak.

• hairmetal4ever
    8 years ago

Dave in NoVA:

I know you said you had some Q. myrsinifolia seedlings/saplings (I may be interested, stay tuned), do you also have Lithocarpus henryi to sell/trade?

You say they're easy to grow from seed - but where did you GET the seed?

8 years ago

hair: I have no lithocarpus seedlings left. I got the seed from a private source.

• hairmetal4ever
    8 years ago

Davidrt28-I might have to get some of that hardy rosewood seed, too. Not that it would influence my decision, but those have any fall color?

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Rhodedendron Maximum. Our native eastern tree rhodedendron, no hybrid in it. Rarefind nursery only has the big ones you pick up in their New Jersey nurseries store. I just may dig up a baby or try and get some seed from the woods, but, I don't see many seed trusses on the plants in the wild this year, and I failed at germinating some a couple years ago. I have one that I wild dug years ago, but it is so small. I don't know why they are so hard to grow, the asian hybrids do fine for me. Maybe they need a certain fungi bacteria that I don't have. The potted ones likely have all they need to grow in the pot til planting. Hope someone can help. Poaky1

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hairmetal, very unlikely. The Fabaceae are not really known for it.

poaky, I'm sure somewhere on the UMN plantfinder you could find a mail order source of R. maximum. As a native plant it's very politically correct. I know I've seen small ones (not hybrids) at Rarefind but they may or may not currently have them.

• hairmetal4ever
    8 years ago

True, David. Cladrastis usually colors a nice yellow, at least in good years, and sometimes Redbud and Honeylocust can, but are hit or miss here.

I will try some anyway, but not expect anything.

• poaky1
    8 years ago

David, Rarefind was out a month ago, but I'll retry them, and I'll check the Rhodies forum on here, I shoulda thought of that in the first place I guess. Poaky1

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well most nursery's availability cycle is at most twice yearly, so, you could try them again but if they are going to have them again, it might not be until next spring or next fall.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I thought it would be a good time to bump this thread. (Y'all know I do not bump a thread lightly) Feel free to update or add new ones, but long discussions on particular plants would be OT and should occupy a new thread. (like the thousands of posts concerning hardy live oaks!)
    In my case I can take Dalbergia hupehana off the list, as Sheffield seed did import it and sell it for a while - might still be listed for all I know. I germinated maybe 5 out of 16 or so seeds...3 died over the first year, now I have 2 that look promising but are still only 3 inches high.

Found out 'Firelight' in Europe is actually not the Long Island NY Hardgrove hybrid, it's a PNW hybrid from a guy named Fred Peste with a similar name. That makes a lot more sense for various reasons. Though I'm still annoyed by rhodo cultivars that go missing, I'm taking that off my list too.

So what I am adding for those 2 subtractions?

1) Bretschneidera sinensis. If it is zone 7 hardy, the pictures make me think it would be the showiest zone 7 hardy flowering plant of all by far. Yes it might not be that hardy. But remember most (but not all) Asian plants are hardier than the native range would indicate. To what degree? Of course it varies.

and 2) Pinus lumholtzii. Assuming a zone 7 hardy form can be found. But this is not out of the question: there are Mexican pines in botanical gardens in SE PA. Or even a hardy form of Pinus patula...I'm going to try about 10 seedlings outside, that I ordered at the same time I ordered the rosewood from Sheffield. I saw several "weeping pines" in AU & NZ, and I'm enamored with the way they look in a garden. Basically just want a hardy weeping pine! (not pendulous! that's different) Yes, this species was one of George's picks. He doesn't have to worry about finding a hardy form though!

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

If I made a list it would just be a bunch of rebuds, japanese maples, and other stuff I can't afford right now LOL.

• tlbean2004
    7 years ago

Logan, do you like the "big leaf" redbud?

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

I'm not sure that I have seen a "big leaf" redbud. Is it a cultivar or is it a different cercis species?

• indianagardengirl
    7 years ago

Cedrus deodara Eisregen, and it's all dcsteg's fault for posting such a great picture.

Just about any Sciadopitys, thanks to the photos on the Conifer forum. Not very many available, and not inexpensive when you do find them.

And the mythical evergreen tree that tolerates wet soil in zone 5b.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    7 years ago

A few spelling corrections for above posts, for those trying to find certain plants:

Quercus tarahumara
    Dalbergia hupeana
    Pseudotsuga macrocarpa
    Stewartia malacodendron
    Rhododendron maximum

• poaky1
    7 years ago

I just abbreviated brandon, just laziness, I do know how to spell it :) Unless there's something above your talking about.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    7 years ago

Poaky, above, there was an "e" instead of the second "o" in Rhododendron. No worries, it's just that some people might be trying to search for the term, or, try to use the wrong spelling. We knew what you meant.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dalbergia hupehana seems to be the archaic, original spelling, used from 1905 until recently. When I first read about this plant in the 1990s, it was in the writings of JC Raulston and he used that spelling. But on the off chance anyone is looking for it unsuccessfully, I'm glad you've offered the currently correct spelling.

Curiously, the not-so-distantly related Bauhinia hupehana has not undergone a similar orthographic modernization. Nor has Litsea hupehana. I'm sure they are all named for the same Monsieur "Hupe" whoever that was.

• tlbean2004
    7 years ago

Yes Logan. There is a giant leaf redbud that forestfarm sells. I think its cercis gigantea or something like that...

• edlincoln
    7 years ago

I've since got one of the items on my list. davidrt28, you were right. The New England Wildflower Society didn't carry pith pine in 2014, but have since added them. Also, the New Hampshire State Nursery sold them one year.

Haven't been able to get American Beech to get established though...it always dies. :-(

davidrt28 (zone 7) thanked edlincoln
  • davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ed, glad to know my post was helpful. They are pretty darn classy operation, years ago they had natives that nobody else, commercial or non-profit, was offering.

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

Tlbean, now I know the tree you are talking about. I've seen them at biltmore estate and thought about planting one, but I would rather buy locally than mail order. I guess top on my list of redbuds would be Cercis Canadensis 'Floating Clouds', it's a really nice variegated cultivar. I'm also on look out for 'rising sun', 'merlot', and 'ruby falls'.

• tlbean2004
    7 years ago

I saw ruby falls at Home Depot last year so you might want to check them out this coming season.

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

Thanks! I usually look at lowes and walmart for the plants that are on sale. Last year I picked up a bunch of loropetalums, a redbud, an abelia, and a black diamond crepe myrtle on sale. I'll be sure to check home depot.

• Embothrium
    7 years ago

The Hupe in these names refers to Hubei in China.

davidrt28 (zone 7) thanked Embothrium
  • brandon7 TN_zone7
    7 years ago

Yep, and Hubei (province located near the middle of the eastern part of China) is also called Hupeh. I have no idea why they took the H out (or included it in some names, for that matter).

davidrt28 (zone 7) thanked brandon7 TN_zone7
  • davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Funny, my first guess was that it was related to the ever shifting sands of Chinese romanization...then I thought, "but so many Chinese plants are actually named after western people, so maybe there was a Mr. Huppe or whatnot".

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    7 years ago

I hate to stay off topic for this long, but one thing is just bugging me here. Species names are not modified (modernized) unless there was something wrong with the original name to start with (rules about this are given in the ICBN). So, I would guess that hupeana would be the original specific epithet for Dalbergia hupeana.