SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peaseblossom_gw

Hoa Sua--Milk Flower of Hanoi, Vietnam

peaseblossom
18 years ago

"Hoa sua" (milk flowers) are to Hanoi what magnolias are to the southern US; their fragrance is quintessential to the city, written about by poets and longed for those who are far from home. Milk flower trees line the city streets and infuse the cool night air with a tart-sweet fragrance when they bloom in the fall. I had to do quite a bit of research to find out the Latin name for the hoa sua tree: Alstonia angustiloba (also called the Pulai tree). Native to SEA, this tree is also used for timber. I wonder if it's grown in any parts of the US (?)

{{gwi:381487}}

Comments (10)

• dirt_dew
    18 years ago

Hi Peaseblossom
    I had not heard of Hoa Sua. It sounds very exciting! You have increased my interest in Hanoi. I will be researching this Milk Flower Tree for more information. Is it a large tree? Do you know if it can survive high heat and/or frost?
    Does Hoa Mai thrive in Hanoi?
    Happy gardening!

• dirt_dew
    18 years ago

I am seeing 120' for this tree. My neighbors in this residential area would complain. I might have to visit Hanoi to enjoy Hoa Sua. My Chinaberry trees will start blooming any day now. I will be enjoying their aroma. :-)

• yoyo75052
    18 years ago

Dirt_dew, "hoa mai" (Mickey mouse flower) is a symbol of spring for Southern VN same as Peach flower for Norhthern VN. Hoa mai is very sensitive with cold weather, so it only thrive in southern VN. I have mine in unheated greenhouse, it would die and come back in spring but ofcourse smaller and take longer to bloom or might not bloom at all. Tolerate down to 65F.

Peaseblossom, Saigon (Hochiminh city) has lots of tamarind trees along the roads. Although I don't look at the tamarind fruit and think of Saigon :) but it was written alots in poems and songs.

TT

• spongelingo
    18 years ago

I didn't miss my country that bad until you guys brought things from my country up. Now I am missing it so bad!!!! I missed Hoa Mai and coconut juice and lots of exotic tropical fruits and lots of other stuffs!!:(!!
    SP

• kquat
    18 years ago

I lived in Hanoi before 1954 and never heard of anything as "hoa sua". I imagined it belonged to the Plumeria family because when you injure the tree, milk would come out. When I see your picture, I am sure it is not. I'll go to VN this month, I'll be happy to see it. K.

• peaseblossom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kquat--I think these were planted all over the city much after 1954. No, you're right, it's not plumeria. The flowers are tiny, not beautiful at all, but the fragrance is intoxicating! I hope you enjoy your trip:)

• kquat
    18 years ago

Pease blossom: thank you for the information. By the way, I never heard of pease blossom, is it peach blossom? This year we don't have red peach blossom in Houston because our winter was so mild, global warming, may be. I'll leave Houston on 3/19. I'll get back to you guys in a month or so. well, so long! K.

• peaseblossom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Kquat! Actually, my nickname is from Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream--it's the name of one of the fairies. I think it refers to the flower of a pea plant.

• kquat
    18 years ago

Hello: I am just coming back from Vietnam. I haven't seen any hoa sua! People say that this is not the blooming season for it. We went to Chua Huong, Yen tu, Ha Long and more.. There, Plumeria trees are so big still not blooming yet. Cassias ( diep vang) are blooming profusely in Saigon. Peaseblossom, please teach me how to post a pictre on this forum. I sure thamk you very much for you help. Kquat.

• peaseblossom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kquat--if you have the image uploaded already, just use the following code:

(insert the URL address inside "")

If you have images on your computer, first upload them to a site like Photobucket.com

Hope this helps!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor