SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blancawing

For Bee Lovers

blancawing
10 years ago

Dear all,

Although we share a dread of Narcissus Bulb Flies, I think that we also share a love and respect for bees and the essential work they do as pollinators of our fruit, vegetables, and (of course) flowers. Indeed, many of us love to "play bee" ourselves. As such, I highly recommend the film 'More Than Honey' (Des abeilles et des hommes/Un mondo in pericolo) directed by Markus Imhoof. It was Switzerland's official selection for the 2013 Best Foreign Film Academy Award. The film is in German, but the DVD has easy to read English subtitles.

Aside from its spectacular photography and painstaking documentation of the phenomenon "colony collapse disorder," I think that this film has much to offer us in the form of insights and information, which relate to the husbandry of our beloved bulbs. For example, it includes large-scale pollen collection, comparing pollination by bees to hand pollination by humans, and battling devastating mite infestation. Beyond that, the film examines the commodification of bees in the global economy that may ultimately lead their extinction.

Cheers,

Blanca

Comments (27)

Sponsored
More Discussions