SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

white ash vs. green ash....

Our white ash is quite a contrast with the green ash trees of neighbours on either side. The neighbour to the south's tree has been badly hit by EAB and also has some long-standing rot in the trunk. I was surprised that it leafed out at all this spring, although the leaves were sparse and sickly. I am increasingly worried that this one will come down on our house if the wind is southerly when it inevetably falls! I stay out of the room I'm in at the moment whenever it is windy since this is the room it would fall on when it comes down... The neighbour on the north side also has a sick green ash. They had it treated a couple of years ago so it's doing a bit better than the one on the south side but is still pretty unhappy-looking. Our white ash had a few marks on the trunk this spring, showing signs of EAB, but not nearly to the extent of what can be seen on the green ash trees. We had ours treated last year. I think the green ashes always lost their leaves first in the fall so these pictures from this morning sort of exaggerate the situation a bit I think but you can see the state of things when everything was green in the August picture. It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out....

From this morning:

South neighbour's ash and ours:
{{gwi:452294}}

Trunk of south neighbour's ash - picture taken though the (dirty!) window:
{{gwi:452295}}

Our ash and the north neighbour's:
{{gwi:452296}}

The same trees in August (you have to look hard to see the south one....):
{{gwi:265289}}

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design