SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindeea_gw

Who Is Still Selling?

cindeea
16 years ago

Are there any on line companies still selling Amaryllis? I don't wnat to wait for next fall. Can you help a girl out here who wants to spend some money?? lol

Comments (36)

• zubababy
    16 years ago

i saw that the lily lady is still selling until valentines (i think). but she doesn't accept payment online anymore, you have to send the payment in.
    i would also like to learn of other sites still selling :)

Here is a link that might be useful: thelilylady

• jstropic (10a)
    16 years ago

American Meadows is running a 60% off sale and I really wanted Exotica but they are in Vt. and I had concerns about shipping from Vt. this time of year and also what condition the bulbs were in. When Target had Exotica in late December they were already bloomed out. I wouldn't mind waiting until next year for blooms but I really don't want moldy bulbs. What do you think?

Wayside Gardens still have 'Evergreen' (why I had asked to see a photo) but the bulb is $20 plus $7 shipping plus $2.00 fuel charge and I have the same concerns as above. Again, what do you think?

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

I think WAYSIDE GARDENS will not be shipping these until spring. I ordered one along with 2 others and got the two others but Evergreen said "ships in Spring" on the order blank. Go for it...I did! It will be beautiful for St Patricks day depending on when they consider spring to be. Or beautiful in May with tulips...Beautiful any time of year I think!

• jstropic (10a)
    16 years ago

lizalily,

Thanks for enabling! LOL

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Cindee, I think Royal Colors is still shipping... Soultan would know who is still shipping now...

There was a thread somewhere here that had important news regarding the Lily Lady... and I also saw something about that company on Garden WatchDog... I would make sure everything was sorted out satisfactorily before ordering...

I'm actually saving up for the summer Aussie order, so after my last 4 bulbs get here, I'm done until summer!

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Royal Colors will be selling and shipping bulbs until end of May. If your order total is $56 and above, shipping is FREE! So the price you see is the price you pay. And their prices are not that high compared to US bulb companies. They do send very good quality bulbs and bigger sized ones (more mature and will produce more scapes)

I just ordered some this end of December and most probably will be ordering again end of January.

Cindee...Email me if you want anything from RC.

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

Amaryllis Bulb Company is still selling too. I think they are selling for several months still.

• gotsomerice
    16 years ago

Beware of the lily lady.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beware of the lily lady

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sigh, I should beware of ME!! I really do not need to have more, I just thought I'd get some good bargains. Most of the sights said "sold out" but still displayed bulbs I want. I should just be happy with what I have. Also, some are not realy clear when they would deliver. Plus, if they don't take Discover, I ain't buying. OK enough, I have enough. I need to go trim my grapes, weed the side garden, plant some spring veggie seeds, work on my tomatoes and clean up my yard. I do not need more amaryllis! Just ask Dennis! lol I crept outside today for the first in the few COLD days and found some damage to my bananas, my vanilla orchid had a couple buds burned even tho I covered it. So much stuff needs trimming. HEY come on over, guys, I could use the help! I'll even let ya ride around on my Scoot!! Nope I really do not need more amaryllis.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Who said anything about "need"?! Of course we don't need more bulbs... heck, we don't need any bulbs, really... but we do "want" more bulbs... always! And there's nothing wrong with giving in to a want every now and then... I say go for it! You just went through surgery, Cindee... you deserve to fulfill a "want"! And if you find more than one want while you're looking, why not reach out and grab it?!! I know I would! Hehe!

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Cindee, I just received an email from White Flower Farm. They are having a sale on bulbs.

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH STOP IT you guys, you are killing me!! lol

ok cruising over to see what White Flower Farm has to tempt me with! Thanks MsMarion

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's all Marion's fault. I found that WFF had Novella and Magic Green and they needed to be added to my collection, so I ordered them!! Magic Green is really pretty.

Novella looks like a large bloomer in cotton candy pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Magic

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

LOL!! I just finished telling DH, that I'll be content with all the seedlings!! Yeah....right!!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I just got an email from Spring Hill Nurseries with the special that orders of $50 or more receive an order of Hardy Amaryllis Mix... it actually looks rather interesting...

I thought maybe Lizalily would be interested, since cut flowers are her specialty... these, according to the catalog description, can be planted directly in the garden and are hardier than most hippis...

What interests me about the mix is that it contains some yellows, as well as the other common colors...

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Hill Nurseries - Hardy Amaryllis

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I'll gladly take the blame. Far be it form be to let a friend miss a sale!! LOL Did ya buy me anything?
    Marion

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Oh lord! I just ordered some too from WFF. Yes Marion, it's all your fault. But we love you for it. Thanks! :-)

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

JodiK, Spring Hill does not have a good reputation with other gardeners I know who have ordered from them. Tell me if you get good amies. It is always possible that a company comes under new management and improves. But it has a reputation for poor business and poor quality plants and bulbs with less then stellar customer service. I try to stick to companies where I CAN get some feedback from others first. I do not want to financially reward anyone for shoddy business practices where as I will pay well for healthy goods delivered promptly and curteously. Otherwise we pay that price in disappointment and plants that wither!

Currently I am not too happy with My Van Engelen bulbs. I have also quit ordering tulips from them after loosing my crops of thousands of bulbs to fungus 2 out of 3 years. But I had found other bulbs were mostly OK. SO far this year they are batting about 30% with me! Even MZ's wrong named bulbs have been beautiful and rewarding to grow.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

We ordered perennials and bulbs from several companies last year, and most of them sent nice plants or decent bulbs, although the packaging on some could have been better... I have to go back through my records and see who sent us what...

I completely agree... I'd much rather spend a bit more for better products that are packed well... and I'd rather deal with good customer service, and have plants delivered in a timely fashion...

I just really like the idea of a hardier hippi, and a good yellow one, to boot... it's too bad Spring Hill is the only company to carry these...

My favorite companies of last year were John Scheepers, Bluestone Perennials and Royal Colors... in that order...

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know, I am sending my third request to Wayside to ID the bulb they sent me labeled as Zombie. I am getting crazy over this. Not because I dislike the bulb. It is beautiful and looks like a double Picotee. It is actually sending up another blooming scape. It's just I GOTTA RANT!!!!!! I AM GOING CRAZY SITTING HOME IN PJs ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there I feel better, ahem, straightening the feet of my flannels, gaining my composure........ooohhhh, there's cat hair on my feet...sigh......SOMEONE CALL THE CARPET CLEANER GUYS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

Cyndee! I hear you, girl! I am kind of stir crazy here waiting for things to happen, and getting all my pt in and everything done that I need to do. Still have to schedule a Dr visit to have him send the surgeon a note that I am healthy enough for surgery , and really should get my teeth cleaned too...I just hate having to go into the city for that in winter time...never knowing when I make the appt what the weather will do. I AM stiff and sore from my PT, and yet I know how important it is And I know I need it or I would not be stiff and sore from it!

And I am ordering amies like crazy just out of needing entertainment and some thing fun to wait for. In the meantime, they do cheer me. Today Apricot Beauty did me the honor of opening. And a second Royal Velvet is opening out to join the first one. I will save one of these for seed-making, but there is a 3rd one who is a little slower. I will have to decide who I want to try mixing this one with! I would like to try it with a white but Ludwigs dazzler will be too slow for it. I may try saving some pollen for Ludwig. I do have an Elvas in bloom that I could maybe find the pollen in. HArd to think what to do when Roya Velvet is so perfect the way it is..I guess try to pass that perfection on to someone else.

So are you still getting around more each day?

• soultan
    16 years ago

And I have just placed and order with White Flower Farm... Damn. Now I will have to find some partners to order up to $50 to save on shipping, since Novella and Temptation are available again.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Soultan! You're back! Good to "see" you!

Hmmm... let me go take a look at the White Flower Farm website... I'll get back to you on this... :-)

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Jodi,
    The spring hill hardy hippi sounds too good to be true. I ordered from them years ago and the shipment was OK, don't remember what it was but I do remember when I get a bad shipment and who it is from. I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THEM! just remembering that it was not a bad shipment of what ever!
    If anyone has experience with hippis that are hardy to zone 5! let me know. I've got some naked ladies but I'm potting them due to narcissus bulb fly in my area. Not putting hipps or ami's outside here anymore!

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wish I had known, Soultan, I just ordered from WFF the other day. I have Novella and Magic Green coming my way...

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Chaz - I wouldn't trust that any hippis, other than the Naked Ladies, would be hardy past zone 7, and that's with protection! I just kind of thought it would be neat to get a group container planting, and have one possibly be a nice yellow... I've ordered from them before, and it wasn't the greatest place to order from, but we got what we ordered... we had ordered a few perennials. The plants were very young, but they made it...

I'll email you, Soultan... I'm not sure if I should spend any more on bulbs! :-)

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Soultan...You're back! Yayyyyy. I'll email you.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Okay. Looking forward to it. Feel free any time you feel like. I am working full throtle and planting Vesuvius tomorrow, then when the Nature Hills and White Flower Farm orders arrive, I send you your first package. I can't wait to do it... Nature Hills will arrive tomorrow and White Flower Farm is shipping tomorrow, because they did not ship until their temperatures were below zero in their area. I just called them today and they said that they have the bulbs packed already and tomorrow they will ship out... Always just waiting... Our whole life is about waiting... We have a national rock musical about Saint Stephen the 1st the father of the Hungarian State, and there is a song in it by his wife and his lords that just like any Hungarians, Stephen thinks too much and waits all the time instead making a baby (wife) or going to war (lords). It is a funny song. It is titled: "I Am Bored with Politics." So when I have to wait, I often humm this song... "Waiting, just waiting, always just waiting,/ The sword will slowly rust in its sheath..." You don't see it from this translating, but in Hungarian, "sheath," the case of the sword, and the female reproductive organ are the same word... That just sums it up so nicely why it is not worth waiting.
    Lucky us, growing amaryllis is all about WAITING.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

This is true... we wait for our catalogs to arrive... then we order, and wait for our bulbs to arrive... then we plant, and wait for our bulbs to grow and flowers to open... then we pollinate, and wait for our seed pods to form and ripen... and so on, and so on... it is definitely a waiting game! But well worth waiting for!

• kitty747
    16 years ago

I just got through potting and repotting over a hundred Hippis, and now here I am ordering more. It's freezing outside and I'm running out of room. What will I do with all of them? Your pictures make me want more, more, more. Do they do well under lights? Maybe I can throw some junk out of the basement. Save me from myself.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

They do fine under lights... I believe Sir Hans grows quite a few under lights!

My only problem with the light thing is... getting the height of the lights right (say that 3 times really fast!) so the entire plant, leaves and bulb and all, get benefit from them! Once the leaves grow, they get really long on some varieties...

Perhaps Sir Hans or anyone else that uses grow lights can be of help... anyone?

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wanted to drop a friendly welcome to Kitty as I have not seen you here before. Wonderful batch of amaryllis your friend gave you, by the way! Are you in Port Charlotte also? We're practically neighbors!

Oh and forget it-once you start with amaryllis, you cannot be saved from yourself, much less the people here who will encourage you to get even more!!

Anyway...HI from me!

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Hi Cindee - Thanks for the nice welcome. I've been on-line a bit and sort of feel we're already acquainted. I'm in NJ, but my friend lives by you. If I can ever get down that way, I'll let you know. Perhaps we can meet for lunch or something.

I actually started with Hippis several years ago when an on-line company was going out of business. Got a bunch then, and they all bloomed (were all good names) but then I put them outside -- not a smart choice in NJ because it rains and rains (guess that's why they call it the Garden State). Anyhow, some of them turned to mush didn't have much to bring in that fall. I was depresssed and lost interest in them. That ended putting them outside. Now, they "vacation" inside (sort of like a pet you don't want anything to happen to) in the greenhouse - no bugs, no rain to rot them. I bottom water and fertilize often, and they grow and grow. A number of those originals are becoming decent-sized bulbs again, but don't think they're quite bloom size yet. The fun will be ID'ing them when they do bloom, because most of the labels are long gone. Do, however, have (somewhere) the original invoices. Now that the old ones are looking up, they've been joined by some new ones (about 30 or so). Also just ordered Nymph and Romance from WFF. Apple Blossom will bloom in another week or so.

I'm a pushover when it comes to almost any plant or bulb. We had a January thaw last week and since the price was right, I put in almost 900 bulbs. Now, you need to know, my yard has thousands of bulbs already. Did I need more?????? Abolutely NOT, but for $25, I couldn't resist.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Kitty, up until a few months ago, I had a total of two amaryllis bulbs... a nice Minerva that I've had for about 7 years, and an Apple Blossom that has been with me for about 3 or 4 years... and then I came here looking for a little more culture information...

As of today, I have over 40 amaryllis bulbs, most of them different varieties, all crammed into a very small apartment along with my husband, two dogs, a collection of other houseplants, and everything else we own! I have 5 more bulbs on order, and plans to add even more with the summer Aussie order from Maguire's! Do I need any more bulbs? Not really... but like you, I'm a pushover for a beautiful amaryllis bulb!

I'm also a sucker for miniature roses, daylilies, climbing roses, irises, and a host of spring blooming bulbs, including all types of lilies! This past fall, I peeled back sod by hand, dug and amended soil, and planted a giant bed of bulbs of all types and colors! I also dug and amended a huge bed and planted it full of daylilies and irises! And then there're the 4 raised beds I prepared for veggies and herbs and starter perennials for next season! And that doesn't include the other 2 areas that are already full of perennials and herbs that I mulched and put to bed for winter...

I spend about 80% of my time outdoors in nice weather gardening... and when the weather doesn't cooperate, I'm gardening indoors with my amaryllis and other plants!

I like to say that I'm an amaryllis addict, but the truth is... I'm a gardening junkie, all the way!

Welcome to the forum... you've come to the right place! :-)

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Jodi, so good to get to know you better. I, too, have grandchildren (6). We're both in Zone 5, and think I saw someplace where you live but don't think it's near northern NJ. I'm outside from morning to dark when weather permits. Also have about two acres to mow -- UGH!!! Have lots of roses - a bunch of minis, but the NJ weather is dreadful for them, daylilies galore (mostly named varieties), many hundred iris, but the weather has about destroyed them also. What the weather doesn't destroy, the deer do, even with most things inside fencing.

Have two dogs and three cats. Just love plants and animals. Have thousands of daffodils. The deer don't eat them so they spread like crazy. Love taking digitals of the flowers, and also paint them.

So good to meet you.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Wonderful to meet you, too, Kitty! It's always fabulous to meet other gardeners with the same passion for pets and plants! I will never be without at least one dog, and if I couldn't garden, either indoors or out, I'd quickly shrivel up and die!

My favorite style of gardening is the wonderfully unplanned cottage garden that slowly evolves and adapts itself depending upon what is planted and survives, and multiplies and re-seeds... and I add to it every year, filling in gaps that appear and digging the edge a little farther out to accommodate new plant varieties that I must have!

The gardens here are only two years old, but they've come a long way within that time period... and this coming spring should yield quite a show of newly planted bulbs and perennials! Last fall, I put in a huge bulb bed and an iris/daylily bed, and those two areas should be quite colorful this year! I'm low in the rose department, but plan to rectify that with several types of new roses... I'll be putting in miniatures, shrubs, a few tea roses, and some landscape/ground cover type roses... and lest I forget, I have plans to have my husband build an arbor for the climbers I want to get! Little does he know! Hehe!

I have begun to keep a photographic record of sorts of the garden as it progresses from early spring, through summer and into fall... I only wish I could paint! I consider myself to be quite artistic, but I can't seem to make what I see in my mind's eye translate through my hands and onto canvas or paper...

If it weren't for my hippi collection and my other houseplants, I would go absolutely stir-crazy stuck indoors as I am by the cold of winter! I have this dream that someday, somehow, I will convince my husband that moving south is a grand idea... but he likes winter with its cleansing cold and snow, and I know that we'll probably be northerners forever... (sigh)... oh well... I suppose there are worse fates than being able to grow beds of luscious tulips and other flowers that require cold spells!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions