SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Nasturtiums again (sigh, yawn!!)

northerner_on
12 years ago

Hello everyone: We have been over this subject so many times, but this year again, I am having trouble. I soaked my seeds, put them out April 30 (it was quite warm and still is) and two weeks later, nothing. Not even a little sprout and we have been having high temps all week. I grow these every year and most of the time I direct sow them and see nothing of them until the fall comes. However, I seem to forget my experiences and follow the same procedure. There was one year I had excellent results with seeds for "Alaska", with a variegated leaf, which did beautifully for me in a hanging basket. I planted them out in late April and they were all up by May 4. I got those seeds in a trade so they were 'fresh'. I wonder if that makes the difference. Are those purchased seeds old? I do remember once buying a plant at my son's grade school plant sale and overwintering it in a pot. When I went to put it in the ground in Spring, there was a Nasturtium growing in it. Obviously the seed had come along with the plant and germinated over winter. So perhaps we should 'fully' winter sow them - in Feb/March. Has anyone done this? I have two varieties this year - one border plant and one climber and I have plans for them. I am re-doing most of my beds and I find it so frustrating when something as simple as Nasturtiums fail. Sorry, but I am so angry, that I need to vent a little. I hate buying plants like that from nurseries, but it seems I'll have to. Would it make sense to refrigerate them for a bit? Thanks for listening.

Northerner

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living