SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sister_k

Question about planting sprouts

sister_k
14 years ago

Hello --

I am a new WSer and it has been amazing and I have learned so much! I planted about 120 different types of plants (well, seeds) and have had about 80% come up so far. I plant in containers, and will be planting in my friend's garden too. My question might be silly and I should just use common sense, but I appreciate your help & expertise.

My question is: do you plant sprouts deeper (maybe much deeper?) when planting out than they were in their little dixie cup and/or milk jug homes? I've noticed that a lot of my sprouts seem to get thinner right where they meet the soil. So if I'm trying to replant at the same depth as they were in the container and looking perfectly stable, they seem to flop over in their new home. My lettuce looked great but now seem sort of floppy. Should I try to put more soil around each to stabilize them or will they straighten/stand up again on their own? All of the seedlings otherwise seem perfectly healthy/happy.

Also, for some of the seedlings (sweet peas, gypsophilia, cosmos, lettuce) the stem looks like they almost curve sideways/up, so after I was separating them from the ws home, it almost looks like they should be planted sideways, but I don't think that's how they were in their original home? Can anyone help explain this to me as best they can and explain what I should do when planting out relating to depth and this directional/curve thing if that's normal?

Sorry if this is explained in detail somewhere but I haven't seen it and thought I should ask. Thanks so much!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting