SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

Chicago area plant swap

sheltieche
15 years ago

For those who lives comfortable driving distance to Skokie, IL- you all invited to to 3rd annual plant swap which will take place on Friday eve, May 22, of Memorial Day weekend. Hours are flexible, expect to see most people 4 pm- 7pm. Swap is open to anyone- newbies and experienced gardeners.

Separate table for garden related items- tools, pots, books, magazines. No special rules applies- bring what you have, take what you like. Everything goes- annuals, perennials, cuttings/ preferably rooted/, seedlings, veggies, sun and shade plants. Swap based on "being fair" basis so no specific exchange deals. Pls label and if possible pot your plants few days before so they look good.

This post is for people to figure out their haves/ wants. During swap things sometimes get hectic so it is nice to have some plan.

As of today I potted up few of following plants-

astilbe chinensis var pumila

campanulastrum americanum

mitella diphylla

anemone robotussima

anemone Elegans

clematis Bill Mckenzie

clematis serratifolia

several of native clems- they come from the mix so not sure of what they are- pitcheri, glaucophylla, fusca, crispa, viorna.

inula magnifica

salvia caradonna

salvia jurisicii

salvia aethiopis

primulas mix

silene dioica

geum ponticum

geum rivale

geranium Lily Lowell

geranium Confetti

geranium Jester Jacket

some woodland ferns- am not sure what their names but they came from UP MI

columbine glandulosa

sanguisorba officinalis

some fancy japanese MG- I think everyone will get at least one of those... LOL, overdid on seeds

coleus seedlings

cyclamen hederifolium

euphorbia Chameleon

will have some tomato plants, as well as cucumbers and squashes.

Also have few rooted cuttings of climbing rose William Baffin and groundcover rose Fire Meidiland. Both of them are extremely easy to grow and disease free- this is the only way to survive in my garden ;)

Feel free to post your wants/ haves and expect to see everyone who lives close and not so close!

If any questions, pls, email me.

Ellen

Comments (144)

• dirtdiver
    14 years ago

Diana--I wouldn't say it reseeds like crazy, but close. I especially keep finding them out of the lawn, for some reason. I know some people grow it and it completely behaves. But not for me. But it smells so great in the fall, I tolerate it.

• dorisl
    14 years ago

Hi Karen!

Put me down for a ocuple BB seedlings also!

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

I'm also going to bring a small Carolina Allspice bush to the swap. Anyone want it? It doesn't have the scent they're supposed to--%^&@$$ Monrovia nurseries! It's pretty though.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Annette, Please let me have the Carolina Allspice bush. I have been supplying a friend with plants since last fall. She owns 3 1/2 acre of land and I am persuading her to put in as many natives as possible.
    And I'll put your name on the Euphorbia. I'll start labelling them all tomorrow.
    Yes, I have been soaking my potted plants in water overnight. Some for longer. Some still don't like to be out of water.

Karen, Pls. save me some BB. They'll go to my friend's spread too.

The Red Curly Willow is pendulous. :-) Very pretty.
    I'll cut some more tonight.

Will go out to dig up Winterflame Dogwood and some more Rudbeckia this evening. See you all on Friday. My son will take the car, so I'll have the van. Yikes.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

OK, Jasmine and dirtdiver. Please bring a bucket for willow cuttings or Dogwood. I did not pot them because willows will grow very easily from cuttings, even without any roots. The dogwood branches are just too big/tall to pot. I simply stuck them in a bucket full of water.

Annette, there are 5 Annabelles, so you definitely can have one. And thanks much for manure.

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

I got some primo stuff for you today, Pitimpinai! I hope you have seat covers for the van, just in case. It's in used mulch bags. And I'm putting your name on the Allspice bush.

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Rolando,

I'll dig up some daffodils for you :)

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Mone,

I also like willow :)

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Me again, hahaha :)

I don't know any plant name but would be happy if I can have a plant with maroon or burgundy foliage.

I remember, I have 2 potted red twig dogwoods that I cut last year. It's leafing out now. If you like it, just post here.

Mone, the potted dogwood you gave to me was planted before. The one I am giving away is different. :D

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

gonenative,
    Please give me Rosinweed, Ironweed, Milkweed, Joepye Weed, and Queen of the Prairie. I'll give them to my friend.
    Thanks.

I'll cut more willow today.

• karendee
    14 years ago

pitimpinai, I potted up some small BB seedlings last night. I did 5 small cups of them.

it was dark and I hope I got all the roots covered.

They would fit in your cup holders :) small stuff compared to what others are bringing.

I have 2 huge daylilies I am digging up. I don't plan to split them so the new owner can have large ones. They probably could be split into 3 or 4 plants each.

thanks everyone for all the work you are doing. next year I will have more to trade! I started my garden over last year.

Karen

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will go through the post tonight and see what I can set aside for everyone. Esther and I will be happy to dig out something at last minute if we have plenty to share.
    Please, wear flat shoes and bring your plastic bags, buckets and trays alone. I will provide labels, cups and small baggies if anyone needs.
    Will be checking my email through the day so if anyone has last minute questions send me email.
    There is usually plenty of the parking on the block so it should not be a problem.
    We will have separate tables/ areas set for sun loving plants, shade, veggie area, garden related stuff and small refreshment table.
    If anyone has extra basil Esther and I would be happy recipients.

• oakparkleon
    14 years ago

I am new to this internet thing, I am not sure if my email went through, I tryed to contact you about the plant swap location? Please let me know the Location if you can, Thanks a lot, I have a few to trade.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oakparkleon
    your email is blocked, I have no way to send you email.
    Please, resend your email to me. I'll watch for it.
    Plant Swap tomorrow in Skokie

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

Ellen, did you figure out a separate area for plants promised to specific people or should we just label them with that personÂs name?

Looking forward to it!

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Yay! Oak Park is in the house! Well, almost. (I'm from Oak Park too)

Try to email me too, it will get through to one of us and I can send you the info. Just click for my member page and then for my email. You'll see the actual email address, type that into your own email program--like Yahoo or whoever you use for email. It will get through that way.

Or go to the Craig's List ad and send it that way. You'll get through!

Here's the ad:
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/grd/1178472314.html

Lindalana, your ad has expired, I don't know if you want to repost it.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oakparkleon, you email went into my spam box, I hope you got my mail by now.
    Got another email- Chitownlady is coming- we should be easily have about 20 GW people, am expecting 60 + total, should be nice party, weather is on cool side so dress up appropriately.
    Linnea, am figuring out holding arrangements, yes, so people can put their seedlings/ keepers.

• karendee
    14 years ago

lindalana, I grabbed some WS Basil this morning and put in a cup for you.

I think it had about 6 or so small plants in it all HOS style. you can probably split it out to share.

I am leaving work by 330 pm and hopefully the traffic will cooperate so I can get there in a decent time.

I am leaving from the Joliet area, my DH says it might take me 2 to 2.5 hours with the traffic. I am hoping he is wrong!!

I am looking forward to this!!!

lindalana, let me know if you need name tags or more labels. I can bring some.

Karen

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

It was so good to see all of you again and you new comers, to finally meet all of you.

And boy, oh boy, oh boy.
    Folks, those of you who missed the swap, eat your heart out.
    That was the most fun spring activity I have attended ever! lol.
    And you have missed visiting the gardens literally to die for.
    I wish now that I had a much larger yard.....sigh....

Thank you so very much, Ellen & Esther, for organizing it,
    and for putting up with people trampling all over your yards.
    And most of all, for the loots that I had said would not have room for.

I watched people grab the largest plants leaving the choice and rarest seedlings behind.....to my delight...lol
    Ellen, I took all the Epimedium, Jack in the Pulpit and Mertensia seedlings
    that were left sitting there forlornly. :-P
    I will find room somewhere in my garden.
    I just MIGHT give an Epimedium to a friend.
    In fact, I gave Rolando one. I hope you will like it as much as I do.

I also grabbed someone's Variegated Solomon's Seal as she walked in and won't let her put it on the table.
    It dawned on me that I can just plant it in the spot where Ronneil had taken my 'Annabelle'.....hahaha
    I wonder why hers and yours are less variegated than mine. Mine has a lot more yellow stipes........
    Now, I should have given you some too, Rolando.
    Come by my house this fall. I'll give you a few shoots.

I will go out and plant everything today.

Annette, thanks so much for the lovely manure. My veg. and worms will love it. Thanks also for the plants.

OK, let's go out and get busy.
    Ellen, please thank your hubby and lovely daughter for putting up with all this and for doing all the clean up.
    I'll definitely come to the next swaps if I am in town.
    I'll air layer some more shrubs - Red Twig Dogwood and Ninebark and others. I will bring more next time.

Are you planning another swap in October?
    Have a wonderful weekend.

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Yeah, the plant swap was awesome! It was a very cool experience. I really had a great day yesterday. Ellen and Esther's garden were gorgeous!

Ellen gave me an ornamental rheum palmatum seedling. She had one in her backyard by the pond and it was stunning! I think the leaves were like 2 ft long and 15 inches wide. She also gave me forget me nots. I really love its light blue flower. I usually don't like tiny flowers but when I saw Ellen's forget me nots by the coral bells, OMG, my jaw dropped! It was stunning!

Oh, I brought home a young shrub given to me by Esther and you helped me pull it from the ground. It's the Pagoda Dogwood. I need to go back to my drawing plan and locate a place for it.

Anyways, it was a phenomenal experience.

Annette, Rolando and gonativegal(sorry forgot your name), it was very nice meeting you at the Plant Swap!

Thank you very much Ellen & Esther.

Oh, looks like I saw a name Linnea but not sure if it was her.

• dirtdiver
    14 years ago

Huge thanks to Ellen and Esther, and I enjoyed meeting so many of you. What a swap! Lots of choice little seedlings and assorted other wonderful plants. Plus there was music. And watermelon. And wine. It felt like summer, even if it was brrr... cold.

• karendee
    14 years ago

Wow, I had lots of fun!!

ALL of you were so generous and nice. I only wish I knew as much about the plants and you do! I got some really great plants from each of you and I am so very grateful!!!

I really appreciate all the plants from the swap. I had plants everywhere on the ride home it was amazing! Some new to me items and some things I know and love.

Thanks to Ellen and Esther for hosting! A big thanks for letting us invade your yards for the swap.
    Maybe next year I will take some time off work and come out early to help set up. I am sure not going to miss the swap. it was great fun!!

Karen

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Wow, what a great get-together. At one point I had a plant in one hand, a homemade cookie in the other, and I was talking to fellow gardeners. I was truly happy.

It was a pleasure to meet all of you, or see you again. Wow, there were nice plants there. I was able to contain my plant greed...sometimes. Pitimpinai, I agree that the best stuff was often the little seedlings. Cleverly, Lindalana saved them for us by not labeling some of them :P

Thanks to everyone who brought plants especially for me!

Pitimpinai, do you have all your flats? I may be able to get some replacements for you. Then I would...sigh...have to drop them off at your house.

Thanks you so much, Lindalana and Esther, for going to all the trouble of setting this up, and letting us drool over your gardens. I hope you like the plants I brought you!

By the way, on Thursday I put a hummingbird feeder on my front window. I think my hummingbird has an eating disorder--it comes by every 20 minutes! This is getting BO-ring... :)

• PVick
    14 years ago

Wow! Just reading all about it has been fun - and yes, pit, I am eating my heart out!

Have never been to Chicago - wonder if they will allow plants on the plane?? LOL!

It's great that you all had a blast!

PV (green with envy)

• chitownladyd
    14 years ago

Whew! Just came in from planting some of the bounty that I found at the swap. All I can say is happy, happy, joy, joy! Kudus to Ellen and Ester! It was an awesome gathering.

Thanks everybody for your generosity, it was great meeting you in person. Happy planting!

Oh my aching back LOL!

La Donna

• karendee
    14 years ago

La Donna, I second that my back is hurting too!

PV you would have had fun...
    you can always try to organize your own swap.

Thanks again everyone!

I have everything planted. it is hot today and some are a little wilted but I plan to nurse them back to health.

I am so excited to see all my new plants!! I even got some items for my containers I have (a old teapot and my urns)

Karen

• october17
    14 years ago

Thank you Ellen and Esther for hosting! Your gardens are awesome! I was one of the first to arrive, so I know I have some plants from you two. Thank you so much!

Stage rat - thank you for bringing what you had promised me! I can't wait to pick my own raspberries and kiwi.

What a great time I had - and quite a turnout. How many would you say showed up? I stayed til maybe 6, there were at least 60 by then I'm sure.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is my great pleasure to be able to meet all of you! Thank you so much for coming and it is you guys who made this plant swap a success! Thank you for carloads of plants that you brought and those food goodies, am glad people were having fun and enjoyed themselves. Am lucky to have wonderful neighbor Esther who is my partner in crime and actually started this whole plant swapping business/ yep, it is all her fault/.
    My wonderful gardening buddies Annette/ stage_rat/, Ann /dirtdiver/ and Karen, thank you for co-hosting it with me and giving your social grace and plant expertise to people.
    I have heard over and over again that people were happy to learn so much about plants. Loved that WS display- let the world hear about us, people who like cold and snow to start seeds...
    To me, meeting people who are similarly crazy as I am about plants and gardening is the best fun I could have. Am still in competition with you Mone, which one of us is biggest stuffer/ plant spacer ;)
    We had quite a number of people coming this year which is encouraging to me. All together we had about 100, I have 60+ emails in my book who would like to be notified for next year, why I am bothering though- it is Friday eve of Memorial Day weekend...
    I goofed up on some things this year and did not have time to label all my seedlings well, am sure there were some oversights as well. Am learning fine art of organizing plant swap as we go along, so constructive input is welcome and desired how to make it better for next years to come.
    Am sure will see many of you sooner than next May.
    Mone, I like the idea of setting up smaller scale meeting somewhere early fall, I usually end up rearranging my garden beds at that time and having to move quite a few of my plants so will have plenty to split and share.
    Happy gardening to everyone!
    Ellen

• happygardener23
    14 years ago

Another heartfelt thank you to our wonderful hosts and to all of you who shared from your gardens/WSing bounty. I came home with so many exciting additions for my garden. I only wish that I knew more about the little plants and seedlings all around me so that I could have taken more treasures with confidence. I can't wait for the next one, and I think that a fall swap would be a great idea-maybe with an emphasis on seed sharing too.

-Corrie

• rolrod
    14 years ago

Happy Sunday Everyone!

I'm late to give my thanks because I've been going pretty much non-stop since Friday morning and this is my first chance to sit down at the 'puter.

Thank you everyone for an excellent experience! I've never attended anything like that and I've not shut up about it since!

Annette, Karen, Ann, Mickey, Ronneil, Linnea (I don't remember your name, please forgive) and few more names I'm forgetting (but not faces I assure you) - It was wonderful meeting all of you!

Mone - Special thanks to you for running around and finding me plants for my shade garden. I'm sure I won't remember most of them, but that will just make it all the more fun for when they bloom. =)

Esther and Ellen - THANK YOU SO MUCH for organizing and hosting. From the plants to the people, the live music and the lush beautiful gardens, it was a fantastic evening!

I can't wait for next year! =D

Rolando

Now, to go back and read everyone's responses!

• jas_il
    14 years ago

I could not thank earlier too. Ellen and Esther you have done a great swap. I really enjoyed it. It was first time for me to attend such a swap and it was really great. I am really looking forward for another swap.

I was not sure till monday if I am going to come so I could only bring around 50 containers of plants. Some I had potted already for some of my friends and some I potted in hurry. I hope next time I will be able to bring more.

Annette, Stage_rat thank you so much for varigated Hosta and hens. Hens are so pretty. Do you grow it on rocks or what kind of soil is good for it. I have two types of hens. One grows like crazy and other one is store bought it does not I don't know why.

Mone, it is nice to meet you and thank you so much for hydrangea and willow. I got two kinds of cuttings I am not sure which one is which. One is thinner and taller and other is shorter and thicker one. I might try to figure out by googling.

Rolando, Thanks a lot for lily plant. It is doing good so far hope it will perk up. When you were talking to somebody else about the plants you brought I could figure out it could be you.

Ellen your garden looks so nice. I could not see your garden well. When I entered to look I saw primulas and since I never grew it before so I didn't know how primulas looked like, but when I saw the flowers it looked so pretty I could not resist to not to have it so I returned back to see if I can get it and then you gave me some. I can't wait to see it growing.

I was there for an hour or so, so I could not meet everybody sorry about it, might be next time. I got atleast 4 kinds of varigated Hosta and I am so excied about it.

Thanks everybody who brought nice plants.

Jasmine

• gonativegal
    14 years ago

Thank you Ellen & Esther for hosting - love love loved the gardens and wonderful spread. I was so tired from the days' activities I forgot to eat until I got there.

As several posters mentioned what was left (I was really late at 6) seemed to be the real finds - the heirloom tomatoes, yellow clematis, phlomis, a rare salvia, the tiny little dicentra & pink shooting stars and Ellen just before I left graciously gave me several starts of her beautiful primroses.

To Annette, thank you for bringing that huge false solomon's seal, cosmos & rose mallow.

I finally got most everything in as of today.

Great to meet all of you - Ellen, Esther, Annette, Neil, Doris and others.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Owww. I am so sore from digging, lifting, carrying, and planting for three straight days. :-P appy as a lark, though. Installed 10 trellises that I grabbed from one of the swappers hands. Lol. My clematis already latched on to them. Ellen, you have many more varieties in yours, though. And they are much larger than mine because you have not stuffed them so close together like I do in mine. :-D Am contemplating removing some of my Daffodils to make room for more perennials. lol

I think next time, may I suggest that you not post that sign that says plants may be available to dig up or something like that, because I saw someone take a shovel and dig up a white Bleeding Heart from EsterÂs yard while she was somewhere else. Or hide all your trowels and shovels. Lol.
    And letÂs rope off a plant holding area and put a sign that says "Off Limit" or something like that. I think late September early October is great for another swap.

Phlomis, huh? Missed that. Will have to keep an eye for one next time.
    I actually did not get to look at the plants until most of them were gone. I was spending more time wandering around looking at people as well as going back and forth between EsterÂs and EllenÂs garden.

Annette, itÂs ok re trays. I have a lot at home. I like those pop bottle trays, though. They are so sturdy. I asked a concession stand owner for them as he was piling them in a dumpster. Too bad I could not carry them all on the train.

Jasmine, the Willow you got from me is the yellowish one, which is called (Salix matsudana x salix alba ÂScarlet CurlsÂ). It is curly as well as weeping.
    I saw you pick up a green curly willow stick. That one will grow straight up. I have both in my garden, but favor the red one because of its pendulous nature. :-D

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Pitimpinai, did you carry the trays home on the train, wearing business attire? I like that mental picture.

Jasmine, the hens are grown in a bed that is raised and filled with rocks and sandy soil, and they spread...slow-medium? Thanks for that sedum--I like collecting those, although the deer like to nibble at them.

There was shooting star at the swap? Darn, I missed it.

I dug up a couple of my less-interesting green hostas to make room for some of the shade goodies I got at the swap. I pulled some mini-blinds out of a recycle bin tonight, to be ready to label plants for next year! (And, of course, for my mouse graveyards)

Corrie, are you the person interested in heirloom tomatoes? I wanted to talk to you about them a little more, but I was so distracted. Sorry!

• karendee
    14 years ago

pitimpinai, maybe some of that crime scene tape around the holding area would work :)

stage_rat, I am kicking myself that I did not take more tomatoes. I have plenty at home but it is nice to have new varieties etc.

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

If we get together this autumn, I agree that seed-swapping would be a great part of it, and I have plenty of tomato seeds to share, Karen! What are you growing this year?

I've been thinking that for "private trades" at the swap, we should just leave the plants in the car until that person comes along. If we have to leave before they arrive, then we can bring those plants to the holding area. This would keep the Hold area less crowded, and keep the plants safe from poachers or confused people.

Someone else suggested doing the private trades before or after the rest of the swap, which would also work, depending on people's schedules.

Also, taking our new plants to the car periodically seems a good idea.

And, what if there were a table where you had to "check-in" (with different people taking turns at the table, I'll take a turn), who would
    a: make sure every pot has a label, not just one pot (and help write more labels before the plants go out on the table)
    b: check-in could be right by the holding area, so this person could keep an eye on things. I like the caution tape idea, too!

• karendee
    14 years ago

Stage_Rat, I am growing nothing special for tomatoes... I have some Trudi sent to me and I did not label well so it will all be a surprise! I also know I have Roma, Cherry and yellow stuffer tomatoes from my re-seeders each year.

I never grow anything special I just love home grown tomatoes!!

Taking plants to the car is a good idea too!

Karen

14 years ago

Thanks again to Ellen and Esther for generously hosting the swap. This was only my second year and I could tell how much it had grown from last year. The food and wine were a nice touch too (and who made those great cookies?! Recipe?).

I found many wonderful things and was happy to see, when I left, that all of mine had been takenÂeven the cuttings! ItÂs a good feeling to find homes for them.

Some of EllenÂs columbine, primula, and Morning Glory seedlings are settling in. Thanks also to Annette, Mone, Rolando, jas il, and those whose names I donÂt know, for sharing your plants with me. My shade bed is now lush and full of lovely ferns and geraniums. My husband is eagerly awaiting tomatoes: he had been asking me daily when I was going to get plants. My new sunny side "hot color" bed will shortly be beautiful tooÂwhen I finish the layout.

I think roping off the holding area with caution tape (and putting up lots of signs!) will work, once people understand what it is for. I had to park really far away by the time I arrived at 4:50, and didnÂt move anything to the car until I could drive it in closer! My arms were too tired from all the activity of the last few days, LOL! I could bring folding tables for it next time if that would help. A check in also a great idea, with last-minute labeling. I passed on a couple of "mystery" plants that are probably wonderful things.

My garden thanks you all!

14 years ago

I forgot to add, that fall would be a great time to share bulbs like lilies! My Asiatic lilies are too prolific!

• luv2gardenoriginal
    14 years ago

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL! (I finally got the pc to work and found the thread). What a wonderful day, and OVERWHELMING TO SAY THE LEAST! I wish I had found the thread earlier, sigh, my loss. But I did bring home some wonderful goodies, and now I can start saving "garden extra's" for next year. Great to see some old faces (PEOPLE I KNOW!), and meet some new ones. And a big thanks to the lovely musicians for their hard work. I'm sure the Garden Fairies loved it!
    Cheers,
    Mickey

• jas_il
    14 years ago

Pitimpinai, what is the red willow's name?

I think keeping spoken plants in car is a good idea and I think the holding area should be in some other place where everybody can't go.

Stage_rat, thanks for the info about hens. btw What is shooting star?

If we are having fall swap then I might also be able to bring lots of seeds and plants too.

I got some plants which doesn't have labels. I might post pictures for identification.

Jasmine

14 years ago

Jasmine, I find I did the same thing! I took a few things that just looked intriguing. I meant to ask for an ID, then forgot. I thought of going on "Name that plant" forum, but the odds of an ID are probably better hereÂwhere the donor may see it! And for some things I know generally what they are but not the details, if that cultivar gets tall or not, for example. The rain this week stopped my planting but I will go back to it tomorrow as soon as the ground dries out some more.

I tried e-mailing Rolando but he does not have Gardenweb e-mail enabled. I might as well ask; if he comes on the thread again maybe he can tell meÂ
    About the Helianthus and Heliopsis you gave me at the plant swap: how tall do they get? I Google searched Heliopsis but the various cultivars had a variety of heights. Can I judge by the level of the leaves now or did they still have a lot of growing to do? I have 2 different places in mind for them: one dry and sunny, one more moist in a lower part of the yard. Does either one have a preference?

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

I'd like to know more about Rolando's perennial sunflower, too.

Linnea, thanks again for the plants! And, I think I said that the veronica grows to 8", but it's more like 12-14." Sorry!

Jasmine, Shooting Star is dodecatheon. It has flowers similar to nightshade, but in a neat display.

Lindalana, is the Echium russicum the Rubrum version?

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am assuming it is red one as I had seeds from 2 sources- trade and NARGS and neither listed its color.
    They would need dry soil good drainage to survive in our zone.
    Would like to switch to other post "Re fall swap" so more people could see the date.
    Would like this post to drop as it is so long by now, takes too much time to scroll down.

• rolrod
    14 years ago

Good Morning All!
    Sorry, it's been a busy weekend...Mayfest and all.

Ladies with my Heliopsis and Helianthus, here's the little info I have.

They both get to about 6 feet tall, and I think the Sunflower reseeds because I had a TON this year, where as the Heliopsis, not as much, so maybe rootball?

Picture of Helianthus Multiflora (Perennial Sunflower) on the side by the garage.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblando/2746231007/in/set-72157605865597652/

Picture of Heliopsis flower. I apparently did not take a pic of the entire plant. The pic is a little blurry, but you get the idea of the bloom.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblando/2746228649/in/set-72157605865597652/

I'll play with my profile to activate the emailing; I was wondering why I didn't receive updates to my post about Elephant Ear care.

• rolrod
    14 years ago

Apparently I did take a picture of the Heliopsis:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblando/2747059506/in/set-72157605865597652/

• rolrod
    14 years ago

Sorry, I also missed the questions about growing conditions.

Helianthus - I received these from my dad, and he and my mom water everything daily. However, I think I found the plant listed on Bluestone Perenials, and they described at as drought resistant and good in clay. Because my parents watered the plants heavily, so did I last year. However, this year i intend to water less frequently and see how they do. They shot off quickly on just rain, so I'm thinking we'll play that one by ear.

Heliopsis - I received this from a coworker whose entire garden consists of draught-resistant plants. She says for a transplant, she'll water weekly, but once they plants settle, she waters maybe once a month; more frequently during hot spells. She adds some compost to her garden when she adds plants, but otherwise, hers is a mix of clay and peat she says. She makes sure she gets hardy plants that have no problem living in the conditions she provides them. =)

I think that now covers everything.

Rolando

• happygardener23
    14 years ago

stage_rat, yes it is I who has an interest in heirloom tomatoes. I WSed about 35 varieties this year with astounding germination rates. I only wish that I had been better prepared to bring more with me to share but my decision to come to the swap was literally last minute so I threw what I could in the car. If anyone happens to be in the western burbs this week and wants some though I still have plenty to share after farming out what I could to family and friends. All those that haven't found homes by Friday get brought to the year-end picnic at the kids' school with a "free to good homes" sign.

I'd love to talk tomatoes anytime. I'll be scouting out the farmers markets this summer for some fun new varieties to save seed from since my saved seeds from last year did so well.

Thanks again to everyone for the wonderful plants. I came home totally inspired and have been ripping my way through previously neglected beds and overhauling them dramatically. Ellen, that gorgeous bleeding heart is the star of a new little shade garden in a newly-beautified corner of the garden...speaking of stars, shooting stars you say? I was just admiring them at a nursery the other day...making notes for next year's wish list :o)

-Corrie

• karendee
    14 years ago

Corrie, I wonder if I have any of your Tomatoes? I took 2 Labeled Potato Top.

I think I might have to save some seeds from farmers market ones also. that is a good idea!!

Karen

• jas_il
    14 years ago

I will post some of the pictures of plants I got in chicago swap for id in fall swap thread.

Here is Fall swap link: Fall Swap

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz