SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

What's the secret to getting seeds from H. reticulatum?

grant_in_arizona
12 years ago

Hi all,

I love all the posts and pics on this forum, and I check in often to enjoy all of the eye candy. :) My name is Grant and I live in Scottsdale, Arizona where I grow quite a few different Hippeastrums in the ground and in pots in my garden. Hipps have been a favorite of mine since childhood, like many of you have mentioned too. I also grow a lot of other bulbs in pots and in the garden too.

In any case, I was wondering, is there a secret to getting viable seeds using H. reticulatum as the pod parent/mother plant?? I've been growing it since 2000 and it's become several nice big clumps that send up blooms a couple of times a year (not necessarily from the exact same bulb, but certainly from the same clump, LOL). I've tried pollinating it several times and have only gotten ONE seed pod that contained one nice fleshy seed (the seedling croaked at about six months, grrr). I did a quick search on the forum and saw several nice pics of H. reticulatum (lovely!), and a few threads about using it as the POLLEN parent, but none with specific success using it as the seed parent.

I've pollinated quite a few of my other hipps and have gotten lots of seedlings that I've grown to maturity, so while I'm no expert, I do have *some* success with other types, but I really would like to get some viable seed with H. reticulatum as the mother/pod parent. I'm sure I'm not alone so I thought I'd check in to see if anyone has tips/tricks or suggested pollen parents??

Thanks for any thoughts or comments. Keep the fun pictures and posts coming.

Happy gardening!

Grant

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions