SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanotis_1

Help with Lady Banks

stephanotis_1
16 years ago

I have three Lady Banks bushes that the landscaper planted too close to a block wall and installed flimsy trellises. Now they have tripled in size and two of them broke the trellises they were growing on and are laying in a heap on the ground. Without any idea of what I was doing, after they finished blooming last spring I thinned the living heck out of them, they looked horrible, but did grow lots of foliage back over the summer. Unfortunately all of the foliage they grew was near the top, leaving them looking like deformed poodles, and hence the topheavyness.

Okay, so after reading too many accounts of the different ways and times of year to prune, new wood versus old wood, etc. etc., can anyone tell me the correct way to prune Lady Banks? How much to prune? When? Do they bloom on new or old wood? Since they are in a heap, can I successfully prune them way WAY back and then try to retrain the new growth upwards? Is there any way to avoid the poodle effect with a method of thinning?

I'm ready to rip all three out and plant other roses in their place that I am more familiar with.

Extra info: I am near Phoenix, AZ, they are once bloomers here, we do get at least one hard freeze per year, they are on an east facing wall, they have been in the ground for 2 1/2 years, I have only pruned one time so far.

Comments (5)