SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ermingarde

Golden Celebration vs. Gopher

ermingarde
14 years ago

My favorite rose seems to have been attacked by a gopher! There was a small hole (I flushed it with hours of water, this has worked before, but I may need to attack with gopher cigars) and now the leaves are crispy and the plant is loose in the ground. But some of the leaves look a little better than the others, the stems are still green and there's even a few red bumps that look like they will be new leaves. I've been giving it lots of water and even some Eleanor's VF11--I know it seems odd to fertilize at this time of year, but at least I don't have to worry about frost here, and Eleanor's can sometimes perform miracles. My question is, when should I prune? Should I leave leaves and stems on as long as I possibly can in the hope that they may be doing the plant SOME good even if they look so bad? Or should I get rid of the worst, maybe even do severe trim early to lighten up the load on the plant? And if anyone has any other tips for me I'd appreciate it, I hate to lose my well-established beloved GC! Thanks!

Comments (5)