SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alina_1

Newbie's questions

alina_1
17 years ago

Hello,

I've been lurking here for a while and, in fact, it was very informative and helped me a lot. I found all the info I needed for the Amaryllis planting and regular care. After the first success I got hooked (not an original story, huh?). Just what I needed - another plant addiction :0)

Now I have some questions I did not find answers for:

1. I have ordered a couple of Amaryllis bulbs online. One of the bulbs arrived "pregnant" and with the tiny bulblets attached at the basal plate. One bulblet was detached though, it is about 2cm from top to bottom, it has no roots neither basal plate. What I have to do with it? Is it a good idea to plant it separately in a small pot with some bone meal added to the soil? If so, how deep? And what to do with the "pregnancy"? When the baby will be "delivered"?

2. I had 3 scapes on my 'Exotic Star'. They bloomed at different times. Is it OK to cut the scape that finished with blooming (it looks ugly near blooming ones)?

3. I have some kind of infestation (looks like fruit flies). No visible harm to plants so far. I sprayed plants with the insecticide soap and it seems to help. Should I worry about that?

4. Is there a way to detect the infected bulb? I read many scary stories about the virus infections here, but did not find pictures (some of them are expired in Photobucket).

Sorry for the long post... I appreciate any info/help/explanations.

Alina.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions