SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milieu_serene

Help selecting Mother a yellow climber Zone 8b

milieu_serene
14 years ago

I solicit your help in selecting a climbing rose for my Mother. She is 73 years of age and had a serious stroke 6 years ago. She gets around pretty good but I would like to select a rose which is vigorous and truly repeat blooming that I can train to a trellis or small arbor. Below are the requirements:

Zone: 8b

Sun: Full Sun

Bloom: Repeat, vigorous blooming, spring to fall

Color: True yellow which holds it's color for more than a day

Maintenance Requirements: NO spraying, little upkeep

She currently has a few shrub roses which are yellow -- Julia Childs and Carefree. Both are fairly vigorous, repeat bloomers BUT their YELLOW color fades within a day typically.

While we hope Mother lives for another 20+ years, we prefer a rose which will reach it's potential within a couple of years.

You may have seen my post earlier about Rosa Lee & Durham. These roses are cuttings from a rose my Grandfather planted around 1950. Luckily Mother's friend was able to successfully take 2 cuttings from it during it's last year of life 2 years ago.

Here are some pictures of them. Believe it or not, only 2 years after rooting.

{{gwi:322884}}From Rose Durham & Rosa Lee

And here.

{{gwi:322885}}From Rose Durham & Rosa Lee

These have grown really well in the 2 years since rooting.

We would like to see similar performance in a yellow climber for her.

Potentials that I have looked at are Teasing Georgia Climber and Graham Thomas Climber.

Just remember, it is HOT during our summers. I can get drip irrigation to the roses but they will be in FULL SUN with July and August temperatures regularly reaching 95 degrees during the afternoon.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

Comments (8)