SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2shoes

Two hour new garden bed....for newbies

wendy2shoes
15 years ago

Thought I would share the process I went through this afternoon to make a new bed. Mine is intended for veggies, but this will work for wintersown flower sprouts of any description.

First, using an edger, cut out the edge of the bed. Toss the cut out chunks into the centre. (You can cut them up a bit or stomp on them).

{{gwi:380392}}

Next, lay down cardboard, and layers of newspaper to your outline. I had to use rocks to hold this down, 20mph winds today.

Wet it all down. Add grass clippings, leaves, compost whatever. I mowed the back yard and threw the stuff on top.

{{gwi:380394}}

Top it off with topsoil, triple mix, rotted manure, whatever. (I had a yard left from last year).

{{gwi:380397}}

I used rocks around the perimeter to contain the soil, and hold down the cardboard edge. The whole thing should settle down and the worms start doing their work after I get back from seeing the grandkids for a week.

You can plant new sprouts directly into this new bed. I just won't be around to do it.

Waaayy easier than removing sod. The grass composts quickly, and provides great nutrients for your new bed!

Comments (32)

Sponsored