SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

The wild roses outside fo Chauvet Cave (southern France)

anntn6b
12 years ago

Chauvet Cave deserves your attention. Undisturbed until rediscovered by modern man in the 1990s, it houses magnificent cave paintings, cave bear skulls, wonderful stalagtites, bear paw prints, human footprints and it will take your breath away.

A newly released DVD is what left me with a feeling of excitement. Cave paintings of horses, auroches, lions, bisons and ibexes and bears....and lots of them.

And radiocarbon datings that take some of the art in this cave complex back 30,000 B.C.

It's in a limestone region. The first book out about it that our library has is titles "The Dawn of Art: The Chauvet Cave".

What I now want to know is which wild rose grows in this part of France because of the line, in the introduction that says

"The three of us grew up in this beautiful region, and we love its wild, dry and rocky landscapes. The plateaus and limestone masses of the southern Ardecheare covered in vines, fields of lavender, moorland or heath, a dry vegetatiton of Judas trees, evergreen oaks, boxtrees and Spanish juniper. In spring there is an odour of thyme, wild roses and honeysuckle. Soils are thin and there are outcrops of grey rock everywhere."

Were the wild roses there when the artists crawled into the caves to record their animal pictures? What an extraordinary place it is now and how it must have changed as the glaciers came and went not that far away.

So, because I've got this image in my mind, for me I want to know which roses are there now.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cave of Chauvet- Pont d'Arc

Comments (10)