SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micropropagator

Top sets from a dry onion set

micropropagator
17 years ago

What kind of onion is this?

I have been growing dry onions from sets for 70 years. Once a commercial set from a hardware store grew a 3-inch outstanding dry onion with topset bulbils. I mislaid it during harvest and it was dead when I found it a year later.

During August 2006 I found another grown from 4 pounds of commercial sets (from hardware store). The dry bulb is 2.1 x 2.1 inches nearly spherical, slightly pointed. There is 16 top sets (bulbils)3/8 by 1/8 wide (inches)The bulbils are pale green and very healthy. There was no flowers or seeds. The bottom bulb is superbly healthy Yellow.

I hope to preserve the bottom bulb and bulbils and propagate them. Then I will taste them. I plan to plant 6 bulbils this weekend; then save the bulb and 10 bulbils for spring planting.

Usually the yellow sets sold here are Ebenezer, but Ebenezer sets look different than the yellow sets sold this year. 90% of my 2006 harvest was rotted at harvest. I got 1/10 the usual yield from Ebenzezer. I searched Gardenweb archive and got no identification for my 2006 yellow topset onion. I am familiar with Egyptian Onion, but none of the uncommon onions grown by Martin, GardenLad, and other regular members on Allium Forum.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida