SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Favoriter red or white roses?

luxrosa
12 years ago

On Chrismas cards on gardenweb are many red and white roses, so I was thinking...whilst freezing my posterior off waiting on Bella the cat to come indoors so I can go to evening chrismas eve service at church,

Which white or red roses do you love most?

My most beloved list of white roses:

1. Alba Semi Plena syn. white Rose of York'

I love it for its' golden boss of stamens, the foliage is so beautiful I picked it from spring through autumn to use in bouquets with other roses. Flagon shaped hips in October added natures' jewels to my garden. Nearly perfect disease resistance except for a weird Cheetos shaped orange fungus showing up on a few leaflets in late august. I love this rose more than any other white Alba or Damask.

2. Rosa moschata. I love its leaves and growth habit and roses that appear so charming and old fashioned. I love its history of being grown in teh Tudor era in England. I hope to have it growing over the top of my front porch soon as I can root a cutting.

3. Westside Road Cream Tea. As fragrant as Ducher' but more resistnat to p.m.. small enough for a front border. a blessing to warm climate gardens.

God bless Phillip Robinson for finding this beautiful lost and found rose.

4. Lamarque. The individual roses arn't the thing that impresses me about this rosebush but the abundant attractive foliage, masses of white to pale yellow blooms from early spring through chrismas, does.

5. Devoniensis for beauty of bloom,

6. Mrs. Herbert Stevens and Mme. Jules Bouche, early enough H.T.s that show their Tea breeding.

7. Princess de Nassau' darling lovely roses with golden orange stamens, lost this when I moved.

8. Nastarana always in bloom, very fragrant.

8. Sombruiel' This is a very popular rose in our area and seems to be grown in every zipcode near where I live.

10 a white Moss rose at sacremento cemetary, with that French name four seasons white moss rose. Unlike the autumn damask this white moss rose has wiry basal canes with bristly armature, and the lovely white blossoms are far more deeply cupped than the Autumn damask I cannot think of a word for how deeply cupped they are as I've never seen a bloom with such long petals shaped like that.

Frau Karl Druski' big glorious fat buds, lots of prescence, and a light scent in perfect conditions. I had to have her for my Tea roses do not last well in vases in the hot summer.

I think it is possible it is not a sport of a.d.. but whatever it is, I crave it dearly.

on my "still deciding" rose list

Aimee Vibert' though it's weird that I don't like her perfumy scent, I've heard this is a strong growing, disease resistant plant and I do love her attractive leaves.

'Blanc de Vibert' though I've only seen a band of it walking away from me at the Old Rose Celebration at el cerrito. I admired it's one opening bud and pretty foliage, but it was a quick glimpse. Any comments?

Red roses, for me, must be fragrant.

Unless they bloom every month, which is why I admire

1.'Gloire des Rosomanes.

Crimson Glory. all other red roses must compete with this one in my eyes.

2. ' Cramoisi Superior' which smells like cherry blossom incense to me.

3. 'W.E.. Lippiat. To me, this is even more fragrant than the next rose on this list...

4. 'Gloire de Holland'

5. 'Crimson Globe' a crimson humongous Moss rose, more than eighty petals of wonderful. the least fragrant on this list, but still a wonder-rose.

6.'Souvenir du Dr. Jamain'. Any rose that reveals its' stamens shows a wonderful treasure to me. Scented, and is of a mesmerizing color.

7. francis Dubruiel.

Merry, glorious, everything,

Luxrosa

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living