SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

when to give up on a particular plant

bart_2010
9 years ago

OK, maties, bear with me, since this might be a bit hard to explain. I have several roses -of all different kinds, mind you-that so far have just refused to "take off"; i.e., to really grow and flourish. Now, mark my words,most of these probably were roses that I acquired during the period of 2010-2012,a period in which we had horrible weather in Europe: terrible heat and drought here in Italy,and I gather endless, sunless,greyness in the more northerly climes from which most of my roses come. So the poor things were probably not greatly strong to start with, and then had to bear with drought and my poor,poor soil. So, now, this is my question; could these plants possibly have any future? If I move them, improve their soil, etc,etc etc,is there any hope that they might still manage to grow and be healthy? or are they hopelessly weakened? Should I just shovel prune them and start over? Now, I know there are some of you out there that ditch a plant right away, if it doesn't "do" much within a year,which is perfectly cool,and i am not criticizing. But I am not (can't be) that way; in my garden's tough conditions all plants take a longish time to establish, and, even more to the point, Rose Replant "Disease" IS a reality here in Europe; you really DO have to do some major soil over-halls ,especially in my poor soil which was pretty exhausted to begin with! So I'd just like to hear some of your ideas on the subject, maybe appealing mostly to those who are inclined to give a plant a few years,willing to mess around with moves, etc, before appying "the shovel". Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving to all, bart

Comments (15)