SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diane_9

Stimulate those Creative Juices please...

diane_9
16 years ago

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/picturestoshare/Backyard/

Here are pictures of my backyard (hopefully). I am unable to find actual measurements for yard; it's about 75 W x 85 D for the area I'm looking at (beyond patio).

I'd like to provide some shade for my backyard and add interest. I really like having the open space, but blocking some sound from the school (and one day the stadium lights?) would be nice. The city 'owns' the ten feet from the street to my property line so technically I shouldn't plant anything there (they "could" come through with a sidewalk some day). The rocks in my pic are outside the property line, judging from everyone else's fence line, that is.

I'm not a huge fan of pines, but it gets a lot of wind so maybe I need some, also for winter interest. The center of the yard is low and stays wet for a short time in spring and after heavy rains. The soil is clay, but the trees there have done well w/o major ammendment.

I'd like something deciduous closer to the house/patio, but am not sure where to place them so they don't look unbalanced or block my views. I'd like something on either side; kind of don't want anything right in the center of hte yard; I like having an open space for play, although maybe that would be best for shade. I may end up just having to build a pergola or something to shade the patio.

I guess I want a fenceline of trees, and something in the middle to north side that will shade the house/patio in July/August.

Many of the trees I like I've been told need winter protection. I don't want anything already overplanted- no pears or red maples. I like looking at yards with trees of various colors. Tulip tree, honeylocust, serviceberry, red horsechestnut, tupelo, red oak are some of the trees I've had on my list. I would love a Butterflies Magnolia. I love flowering trees for shorter and spring interest. I change my mind all the time though; that's part of why I haven't committed to anything yet. There are no power lines overhead or underfoot to worry about. Anyway...I'm open for suggestions on how to fill up my yard or perimeter on a multi-year plan. I can probably only do two trees this year due to finances.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living