SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

garlic - 2007 harvest and 2008 season

TJG911
16 years ago

this is the update on my growing season for 2007 and what i am doing in 2008.

planted garlic on columbus day 2006, all varieties planted 6" on center, mulched on 12/6 or 12/13 due to extremely long fall without any freezing of the ground until 1 of these dates. i removed all but 1" of mulch on 4/9/07 WAY TOO LATE as all garlic was growing (3-7" greens) under the 6" of packed down wet shredded leaves! i think uncovering the garlic about 3/21 may have been more appropriate. regardless of that the garlic did fine, even spectacular.

all garlic dug on 7/26 and put in shed to dry for about 3+ weeks, then cut tops and trimmed roots.

georgian crystal - planted 14 cloves, harvested about 1/3 pound

german white - planted 35 cloves, harvested 1-2 pounds

music - planted 74 cloves, harvested 10 pounds some bulbs were HUGE with HUGE cloves. without exerageration, the music bulbs local farmers were selling at a farmers market in mid august were the size of my largest cloves! yes that was what i typed - their bulbs were the size of my largest individual cloves on my largest bulbs. :)

grocery store softneck - planted 17 cloves, harvested about half that, these did not do so well

all garlic was NOT good flavored and did NOT peel easy initially. after drying i noticed this started to change and by 6-8 weeks ago all hardecks (softneck garlic was eaten within the 1st week of curing) taste very good and peel very easy.

what did i learn? do not water garlic or just a little bit like 1/2" a week if no rain in 2 weeks ..... period. many farmers told me that the rain we get here in ct is adequate and watering can lead to problems. garlic originated on the steppes of siberia and it is very dry there all season. i attribute my watering to why some of my german white were funky, they were in the middle of the 4' X 12' bed and may have been over watered as the got a bit more than the other varieties due to that central location. scapes are not that good for eating, ok but no big deal. remove most mulch (leave 1") earlier than april 9th, more like 2-3 weeks earlier!

for 2008, i won't plant until the 3rd or 4th week in october due to other things still growing in the location i am planting my garlic.

georgian crystal - 21 cloves (from my harvest) tho i am tempted to not grow this variety and instead try carpathian, i have to call rich and see if he can sell me some

german white - 21 cloves (from my harvest) tho i am tempted to try spanish roja same as above

korean red - 21 cloves (bought)

german red - 21 cloves (bought)

french pink - 21 cloves this is a softneck (bought)

nootka rose - 21 cloves this is a softneck with very long storage capacity to may (bought)

music - 35 cloves (from my harvest)

all garlic bought in september from local organic farmer who graciously parted with some of his seed stock. he is not selling these varieties as he is trying to bring up his yields for future sales.

Comments (8)